Medical Engineer (Sterilization) Industrial Placement
Duration: 12 months
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire
Sector: Medical Devices
Department: Quality/ Sterility Assurance
Working at Johnson & Johnson can change everything. Including YOU.
By joining a company that has been carving out the future of healthcare for more than 130 years, you will be offered a career as limitless as the lives it touches. It’s as simple as that. Start building a career with purpose at J&J and make the next generation the healthiest yet.
DePuy Synthes create products that reconstruct diseased or damaged joints, repair skeletal injuries, correct spinal injuries or deformities and provide surgical treatments for neurological disorders. These products change the lives of our patients and present unique and rewarding challenges for our engineering teams.
This purpose of this role is to support the Sterility Assurance Department in the application and practice of microbial assurance as applied to the design, manufacture and sterilisation of implants and instruments. You will join a team of engineers and will be involved with the designers, manufactures and external vendors. This means you will get to see a process from start to finish. During your placement you will be exposed to a wide range of cases. Throughout the year you will receive support and training, as well as the opportunity to travel to our Blackpool and Cork facilities.
Main duties & responsibilities
· Supporting design engineers to develop instrumentation that meets cleaning and sterilization requirements
· Performing tests to ensure product manufactured on site is clean and sterile (this includes water testing and environmental monitoring of the ISO Class 8 cleanrooms)
· Working with vendors and external laboratories
· Working with a global team (mainly USA and Ireland) to implement new ideas, protocols and procedures
Requirements of the role
Studying a degree, grade 2:1 or higher, in one of the following areas:
· Medical Engineering
· Mechanical Engineering
· Biomedical Sciences
Key skills and competencies
· High attention to detail
· Pro-active approach to work
· Excellent communication skills (written & oral)
· Team player
· High level of numeracy
· Highly computer literate
· Planner & organiser
The assessment centre for this role will take place in January 2020
Please note this role will close for applications on the 15th December 2019
Depuy Int'l Ltd. (8722)