Scientific Director, High Dimensional Biology
Janssen Research & Development seeks to drive innovation and deliver groundbreaking medicines for the treatment of diseases in six therapeutic areas: neuroscience, cardiovascular diseases and metabolism, infectious diseases, immunology, oncology and pulmonary hypertension. In these areas, Janssen seeks to address and tackle unmet medical needs through the development of small and large molecules, as well as vaccines. The Janssen campus near Antwerp (Belgium) has an unusual ecosystem covering the complete drug development life cycle, with all capabilities from basic science to market access on one campus. The integrated environment of our campus gives our people the chance to experience many different aspects of drug development throughout their career. It has a successful track record of over sixty years of drug discovery and development and is one of the most meaningful innovation engines of the Janssen group worldwide. Developing creative therapeutics to treat diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, various types of cancers and infectious diseases like Hepatitis B, HIV and respiratory infections is our passion.
At Janssen Research & Development we are embracing developments in cell biology and data sciences to better understand and predict the biological activity of small molecules and other therapeutic modalities that are sought at addressing unmet medical need. Microscopy images or transcriptomics profiles acquired at high throughput scale, provide the high dimensional biology datasets that empower such an approach.
We are seeking to recruit enthusiastic and passionate talent to lead our efforts in deploying high dimensional biology approaches to advance drug discovery programs. The position will be opened on the Beerse campus, which is the flagship R&D centre for small molecules within Janssen, investing over 1 billion euros each year in R&D. For this organization we are looking for a Scientific Director, High Dimensional Biology who will manage a team of Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. scientists. Your team will develop disease-relevant cellular and phenotypic assays and analyse high dimensional data, aimed at discovering novel medicines. You will nurture a culture of creativity and real passion for science, aligned with the mission and objectives of Janssen Research & Development and you will have the strategic foresight to help craft the future directions of the team.
- You will provide scientific and people leadership to develop creative cell-based assays to discover and profile novel chemical molecules that are pharmacologically meaningful.
- You will develop innovative scientific methods and tools to exploit high dimensional biology assays in all phases of drug discovery; lead selection and optimization, mode of action studies, and target identification.
- You will collaborate with assay developers and screening biologists, discovery data scientists, synthetic and computational chemists to exploit large scale machine learning and artificial intelligence approaches to use the extensive high dimensional biology datasets in the selection and design of small molecules en route to better and safer drugs for patients with unmet medical needs.
- You will keep up to date with scientific literature on disease biology, cellular assays and data analysis for high dimensional biology. Select promising innovative ways and explore their applicability to Janssen projects.
- You will serve as a scientific expert in high dimensional biology and cellular assay systems with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding emerging opportunities.
- You will be collaborating with the IT department to improve our software platform for high content analysis and keep the analytics capabilities fit for purpose and up to date.
- You will strive for optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to leadership
- PhD in biochemistry, cell biology, pharmacology or related areas.
- Minimum of 12 years applied experience in a pharmaceutical or biomedical research environment with a consistent track record of leading innovative drug discovery projects and providing key contributions to clinical candidate selection
- Strong analytical skills for developing creative, innovative solutions, and meeting project objectives.
- Proven influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed within a matrix environment.
- Experience leading cellular assay development, screening and/or profiling teams such as high throughput screening or genomic screening.
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed first-author publications, patent applications, and presentations at major national meetings
- People leadership skills (supervising, coaching, mentoring).
- Basic knowledge of machine learning techniques in biology.
- Postdoctoral experience
- Experience with high volume, high quality cell culture approaches.
- Experience with more complex biological models, such 3D spheroids and organoids, live cell imaging, mixed cell cultures, primary cell cultures.
- Expertise in cardiovascular or infectious diseases, immunology, neuroscience or oncology.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)