Johnson & Johnson Careers
[Janssen] - Communication and Public Affairs Leader
Requisition ID: 1905771241W
PURPOSE OF POSITION
· Responsible for development of the strategic planning and implementation of integrated public affairs strategies for Janssen’s core therapeutic areas
· Responsible for the development and implementation of public affairs strategies that bring Janssen closer to Johnson & Johnson and demonstrate the commitment of Janssen in Asia Pacific to its purpose and business approach, protecting and promoting the reputation of the Company in the region
· Ongoing, proactive and thoughtful assessment of reputational drivers for the pharmaceutical industry in Asia Pacific, as well as external communication needs and channels, and creative application of industry and business knowledge and trends to develop meaningful external communication and public affairs strategies that promote the reputation of the Company in the region
· Act as a strategic business partner and provide ongoing senior-level communication counsel to support engagement with external audiences to bolster the reputation of Janssen in Asia Pacific
· Play an active role in nurturting a culture that is grounded in the Johnson & Johnson Credo and the behaviors expected from a best-in-class pharmaceuticals organization
RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPAL DUTIES (Essential Functions)
· Develop communication and public affairs strategies that support the strategic objectives and create opportunities for growth for Janssen’s TAs; and ensure alignment of the therapeutic communication plans with business and marketing priorities;
· Develop strong partnerships with and serve as trusted advisor to the Leadership and Value Teams in region and countries on multiple businesses and brands
· Ensure alignment of Communication & Public Affairs goals with regional and country business strategies
· Develop and maintain relationships with key patient groups for mutual understanding between Janssen and patient groups
· Plan and implement strategic patient advocacy programs to help develop patient groups’ capabilities and to share the voices of patients with Janssen employees and other stakeholders
· Drive process harmonization to foster greater levels of efficiency in therapeutic area communications;
· Partner with key internal stakeholders to understand business unit specific communication needs; and work closely with global corporate communication colleagues and leverage global capabilities
Build multi-stakeholder trust/advocacy through development and implementation of strategic and creative communication and public affairs activities that position Janssen in Asia Pacific as a leader in its field
· Integrate knowledge from deep internal and external networks; multistakeholder insights; and broad understanding of our business, competitive and industry priorities in the development, and efficient and timely implementation of, strategic communication and public affairs activities that drive key business and reputation outcomes
· Maintain a deep understanding of current issues in the environment affecting the reputation of Janssen in Asia Pacific and its brands; anticipate and guide team in addressing emerging market and internal realities
· Provide strategic counsel to drive key business and reputation outcomes
· Build capabilities within the Asia Pacific Communication & Public Affairs team to enhance our engagement with the public affairs and communication activities that drive key business and reputation outcomes
Manage reputational risks, issues and crises, ensuring business preparedness
· Lead on and ensure that the team proactively identifies potential Johnson & Johnson and Janssen-related issues and follows issues management processes accordingly
· Ensure excellence in management of issues that may impact stakeholder trust and company reputation, including the legacy portfolio and China OTC.
Support C&PA capability and excellence
· Model and encourage behaviors that respectfully and confidently change the status quo, yet build momentum and consensus with external and internal stakeholders for better Enterprise results
· Model strong business acumen with a broad and holistic understanding of competitive and industry priorities that drive business and social value
· Role model effective counsel to business leaders by listening, understanding and providing credible expertise, relevant insights and transparent feedback
· Segment key stakeholder motivations, needs and expectations in order to drive the most relevant business opportunities and strategies
· Act as a storyteller to develop communications that create deep emotional connections to the Company’s brand reputation, and drive solutions externally and internally
· Model and inspire a continuous improvement mindset to ensure the function stays on the leading edge of communication, change, technology, social media and other key trends
· Model a healthy Enterprise culture by championing and facilitating a Diversity and Inclusion mindset that aligns with Our Credo
· Proactively develop healthy, high-performing and engaged indivduals in the delivery of integrated, strategic solutions and flawless execution. Coach and encourage others to navigate through ambiguity with vision and perspective
· Serve as a change champion for innovation and new ways of operating
· Drive outcomes by bringing a measurement approach to organizational communication, incorporate relevant metrics that are indicators of employee engagement
· Partner closely with Enterprise C&PA, regional C&PA, and other cross functional stakeholders to ensure seamless integration of Enterprise communication;
· Lead change management to ensure smooth transition to and enthusiastic uptake of business environment which embraces sense of urgency, collaboration, and innovation.
Education and/or additional training: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in journalism/communications, marketing, human resources, liberal arts, science or business.
Experience and functional competencies:
· Proven performer with at least 15 years of experience in a similar role at corporate, not-for-profit, or in the public sector, with Asia Pacific experience. Agency experience would be an asset
· Proven experience of leading the management of reputational risks, issues and crises, ensuring business preparedness
· Experience working in a matrix environment and an ability to think with an enterprise and global mindset
· Experience developing successful internal and external partnerships and influencing leaders to drive tangible, measurable business outcomes
· Ability to manage complexity, multiple priorities, and campaigns at the same time
· Key problem-solving skills in developing communication strategies and actions aligned to the overall business strategy
· A high degree of independent judgment and decision making
· Demonstrated ability to develop compelling stories, with superior written and oral English skills, and visual communication abilities
· Deep understanding and utilization of traditional media, digital and social platforms
· Experience in managing budgets and schedules
· Professional maturity and ability to work effectively across levels, functions, cultures, regions and backgrounds.
· Ability to stay aligned with overall strategic direction while applying diligence and attention to detail in execution and reliably meeting deadlines
Required Leadership Competencies
· Live Our Credo – Serves as a role model for making Credo-based decisions; supports and influences creation for a trusting, collaborative and ethical work environment; maintains highest standards of ethics, quality, compliance and accountability.
· Connect – Cultivates meaningful external relationships and partnerships outside of J&J, adding value and insights for the enterprise; insight-driven to proactively uncover critical unmet needs and turn them into new opportunities. Forges internal collaboration across the enterprise.
· Shape – Translates insights into innovative and viable products or solutions, creating value; challenges the status quo and leads change management activities, creating positive change; takes and properly manages risks, while maintaining the highest standards of quality and compliance, contributing to value creation.
· Lead - Takes ownership for talent acquisition, performance and development in a way that enhances the performance and development of self and others; maximizes and leverages diverse perspectives, backgrounds and talent to generate innovative ideas or solutions to address organizational challenges; engages in and encourages others to have transparent and constructive conversations, contributing to a high-performing organization.
· Deliver - empowers people to act with speed, agility, and accountability, enabling them to achieve organizational goals and strategies; makes decisions and takes actions based on a global and enterprise-wide mindset that adds value across the enterprise; balances short- and long-term strategic choices, positions the organization to achieve both short-term and expected future results.
Disclaimer: This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job; it is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. This document is not a contract for employment.
China-Hong Kong S.A.R.-Mongkok-
Johnson & Johnson (Hong Kong) Ltd. (8060)