Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Engineer Modeling and Simulation
Requisition ID: 1905769220W
"Caring for the world… one person at a time” … inspires and unites the people of Johnson & Johnson. We embrace research and science - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. This culture of caring is the focus of our corporate philosophy, that are anchored in the internationally applicable Credo
DePuy Synthes Trauma/CMF/Biomaterials is recruiting for a Staff Engineer - Computational Modeling and Simulation, located in Zuchwil (CH).
This position is responsible for conducting computer simulations to solve meaningful R&D problems in the support of the development of orthopedic medical devices (implants, instrumentation) and materials. This includes active participation in research programs and the product development cycle.
Responsibilities include conducting computational analyses (Finite Element and multi-body dynamics/musculoskeletal modeling), coordinating outsourced analyses, and leading external computational research activities.
Strong research experience, project management, creative problem solving, and solid interpersonal skills are essential.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Conduct computational modeling and simulation of orthopedic medical devices (implants and instrumentation) to determine product performance
- Perform musculoskeletal modeling simulation using the AnyBody Modeling System
- Develop relevant test methods based on implant indication
- Analyze, interpret, draw conclusions, and provide product design advice from results of analyses
- Draft documentation for analysis work (such as analysis plans/protocols, validation activities, technical reports, etc.)
- Coordinate outsourcing of computational analyses including the review of work requests, monitoring of work progress, and review of work product
- Lead external computational research activities carried out in universities
- Review proposals for FEA-related research studies
- Promote the benefit of front-line FEA as an integral part of the product development cycle for design optimization
- Involved in improving the efficiency of internal procedures and software resources.
- Publish and present work in peer-reviewed venues and publications
- Actively participate in standards (ASTM, ISO) development and industry conferences in the area of FEA for orthopedic devices
- Partner with biomechanical testing and product development teams to identify, develop, and validate analysis tools to accelerate the new product development cycle
- Seek opportunities to promote the usefulness of FEA for regulatory submissions
- Prioritize workload and determine the level of computational complexity required to answer the analysis questions
- Mentor research and product development staff in the basic use of FEA
- Work with Information Management department to ensure a highly efficient, high performance computing environment
- Practice and promote good practices and rigor in research techniques, record keeping, and documentation in order to comply with internal and external quality standards/requirements
- Constantly strive to enhance efficiency in procedures without a compromise in quality
- May collaborate with orthopedic surgeons
- A Ph.D. or M.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering is required.
- Ten years of related work experience in computational analyses (CAD, FEA, and multi-body dynamics) will be considered including Ph.D. research experience. 5+ years medical device, particularly orthopedic industry, experience preferred.
- History of peer reviewed publications and conference abstracts and presentations
- Demonstrable use of
- CAD, preferable CREO Parametric
- FEA numerical modeling skills using ANSYS or Abaqus
- Musculoskeletal modeling using AnyBody Modeling System
- Solid background in structural mechanics and experience with non-linear FEA solvers
- Experience with physical testing techniques and equipment
- Understanding of statistical analysis technique
- Experience scripting in Python and Matlab
- Understanding of good laboratory practices
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written)
- Excellent technical writing skills
- Ability to mentor junior engineers
- Ability to work on multi-functional teams
- Ability to build customer relationships, understand customer requirements, and deliver high quality results in a timely fashion
- Travel – up to 10%
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Synthes GmbH (7111)
R&D Engineering (R&D)