Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Project Leader
Requisition ID: 1905769047W
Reporting to the DePuy Synthes MST Coatings & Biomaterials Manager, the Leader is responsible for leading and directing key engineering strategies and activities across global orthopedics for MST. This includes development, optimization, technical transformational in areas of, Biomaterials; internally or externally to meet the strategic objectives of the business. This is a critical role as Materials & Special processes represent 45% of our COGS ($850M) and having an integrated vision on how we can transform these technical areas will be central to achieving our strategic imperatives
In this role, the leader will develop an integrated capability to leverage talent and best practices in Materials & Surface Technology. This role will be responsible for Materials & Surface technology development across all platforms and mfg sites globally and will typically include: Biomaterials & Coatings, Special processes, Leading operational project activities for key manufacturing technologies related to early stage emerging products developed through our front end process, Leadership of the materials & surface technology platform.
The leader will possess a strong strategic vision and a willingness to be hands-on in all aspects of global manufacturing and supply chain operations as appropriate.
The role requires the development of a strong partnership and heavy interface to Production, R&D, Quality, Regulatory, Procurement and Product Management organizations. At this level, the position has a direct contribution to the development of business and/or functional strategies and typically, responsibility for growth of the make organization.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functional direction and management of all materials engineering teams for Global Orthopaedics (Coatings, BioMaterials)
- Enable global End to End innovation and standardisation through the development / implementation of Technical Strategies.
- Enablement of Manufacturing Strategies to achieve 2020 Vision through the integration of the Materials technical Strategies into the Operational Network
- Make leadership accountability for the delivery of key 2020 Targets (Materials COGS reduction of 40%)
- Development of business/function strategies to deliver next generation materials and surface technologies and capabilities to improve quality & reliability while reducing the cost
- Build and deliver strategic business cases for transformational change to the business to ensure transformation of the entire E2E Materials Supply Chain (e.g. MIM, 3D, anti-infective, Next Gen Fixation, Strategic Insourcing, Plasma Cleaning)
- Execute on tactical GO imperatives in special processes deliver robust capable processes that predict future regulatory trends/requirements are exceeded
- Biomaterials and Coatings
- Direct and Lead Coatings and Biomaterials Technology Teams and all dedicated staff
- Facilitate global innovation, leverage and standardisation in the Materials Coating and Biomaterials space
- Build and execute Strategic roadmaps for Materials Coating and Biomaterials Transformation for the Global business, in the space of coatings and Biomaterials.
- Build Pipeline of Technical Projects in the Materials Coatings and Biomaterials space to meet 40% COGS reduction
- Collaborate with Materials Development groups to ensure that Front End Technologies are being executed to plan to ensure that they are implemented in the correct timeframes on the sites
- Integrate Materials Coatings Strategies into NPI Design for Manufacturing Programs
- Lead and Direct the front end R&D activity for materials related activities in collaboration with the OTD leader for GO.
- Build and execute a pipeline of technical projects in materials to meet or exceed business targets in Quality, Service, Growth and Value
- Partner with product management and R&D teams to integrate materials engineering solutions and technologies into NPI and DfM programs
- Responsible for the management and justification of capital investment requirements in line with business growth
- Lead the materials development groups to ensure delivery of breakthrough technologies using open innovation and front end R&D process
- Develop and maintain an environment of continuous improvement and process excellence
- Quality & Compliance
- Promote a quality-focused culture within the materials team, ensuring adherence to cGMP’s and Quality Systems as defined in the Quality Manual
- Champion HSEE within the materials team and the Implementation of safety/environmental requirements on purchase of all new equipment.
- Ensure the materials function conforms to Corporate, Franchise, Statutory, Legislative and Regulatory requirements for GMP, HSE and Quality.
- Collaboration & Teaming
- Develop strong collaborative and functional partnerships with Procurement, Regulatory, Product Development, Base Engineering, Supplier Quality, R&D, and Quality Engineering across GO
- Drive the rotation of resources between cross functional groups to enable the execution of strategies, most notably, Procurement, R&D and Pack Development
- Steer collaboration with external and internal business partners to overcome blockages and facilitate integration in this highly matrixed function
- Instill and maintain a sense of urgency and customer focus within the materials team.
- Prioritize projects/tasks in line with Customer service requirements & strategic Engineering objectives.
- Develop collaborative networks with J&J Corporate Franchises to deliver materials objectives
- PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum 7 years Materials Science Management experience in a senior Operations / Engineering Management role within a multinational
- Significant experience in a Global Matrixed Management Role within Life Sciences
- Experience in Technical Platform Development Strategies in Advanced Materials Processes
- Education Requirements: Ph.D. & Degree in Materials Science, Chemistry, Engineering or a related discipline
- Previous portfolio & people management expertise developing and implementing processes for new products on a global scale.
- Track record in deliveries breakthrough innovation in materials science & technology & business development in a technical environment
- Previous R&D management experience in the medical device sector
Depuy (Ireland) Limited (7386)