Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Quality Engineer
Requisition ID: 1905767132W
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Ireland) was established in 1995 in the National Technology Park close to the University of Limerick. The facility was originally fitted with six advanced production lines to manufacture one daily disposable contact lens for the European and Japanese markets. Since then we have expanded a number of times and now have over 50 production lines manufacturing one-day, fortnightly, monthly and colour contact lenses which are shipped worldwide.
Located in Limerick and produces the Acuvue range of contact lenses which is the leading contact lens product in the world. Our Limerick site uses the most advanced technology in the industry and we now employ over 1000 people directly. Using our highly automated production process, we produce daily disposable contact lenses while utilizing state of the art technologies such as injection moulding, robotics, vision systems and sterilisation systems.
Each year, we have increased output because of the increase demand for our Acuvue lenses throughout the world Continued expansion of our product lines and extensive engineering and retrofit projects ensure that this growth is sustained well into the future.
This role provides quality leadership and support to business units. Leads root cause investigation activities and drives continuous improvements. The staff engineer is an emerging authority in the Business Unit quality management including non-conformance management, CAPA investigations and activity closure, validation documentation review and approvals, complaint investigations/trends, internal and external audits support etc.
You will utilize Quality Engineering tools and practices for the effective and efficient development, transfer and maintenance of products within the business unit. The successful candidate will also utilize Quality Engineering principles and problem-solving skills to improve and maintain products/processes that are aligned with the overall Quality and Business Unit vision. He/she will utilize appropriate risk management to prevent unanticipated failure modes and improve capability of processes
Business Unit Support
- Business Unit Non-Conformance (NC), CAPA, Complaints and Validations management
- This includes investigations related to NC’s and complaints, trending of same and assessing need for CAPA.
- Responsible for investigation/disposition of on hold product and material (including supplier related holds) up to and including escalation to MRB
- Support both Internal and external audits, act as Business Unit Subject Matter Expert
Business Improvements / Compliance/Regulatory
- Support quality improvement initiatives such as process and product characterizations that lead to continuous / cost improvements.
- Review/analyse the effectiveness of PDCA, Six Sigma, Kaizen, Lean Techniques and/or other improvement tools and programs.
- Review/analyse whether current product and processes (including actions or decisions conducted) are in compliance to standards such as the QSRs, ISO 13485, etc.
- Champions compliance to applicable Global Regulations and standards (e.g. QSRs, ISO, EN and Medical Device Directive (MDD) requirements) including providing support during internal and external audits.
- Conduct periodic line audits to assess for production controls such as lot segregation. Review results of area audits to ensure that corrective and preventive actions are adequate.
Product Quality, Process Qualification Control & Disposition and Performance Standards
- Conduct investigation, bounding, documentation, review and approval of non-conformances, CAPAs and customer complaints. Escalation of quality issues as appropriate.
- Accountability and ownership for material identification, material segregation, classification of defect types including the successful application of these techniques on a day-to-day basis in manufacturing.
- Analyse/review effectiveness of preventive and corrective actions. Review root cause investigation according to an established process.
- Accountability and ownership of Quality metrics including maintenance and reviewing of leading and lagging indicators of quality.
- Approve IQ, OQ, PQ, TMV or Software Validation.
Production/Process Controls including Control Plans
- Partners with J&J Global Supply chain, Finished Goods and material suppliers to ensure appropriate application of process validation, process control, and risk management; and the investigation/correction of process failures when needed.
- Develop, interpret and implement appropriate process monitoring and control methods consistent with the level of process/product risk.
- Collect data and execute/conduct various analytical/statistical analysis and interpretation as part of process improvements and day-to-day support.
- Assess and interpret common versus special cause variation in manufacturing processing and determine adequacy of current process limits.
- Partake in Change Request (CR) management for the Business Unit enduring appropriate and timely review and approval of CR’s in partnership with Business Unit peers.
- Document, justify, review or analyse whether a proposed change to a process will not enhance the risk level in some way beyond capability of current controls or whether change will result in potential non-compliance to a required standard such as the QSRs.
- Assess the need for risk mitigation techniques given product classification, potential defect types, defect frequency, severity, patient risk, process capability, process controls, etc. Determine effectiveness of these techniques on previously implemented improvements.
Strategic / People
- Conduct strategic planning with business unit leaders.
- Partnership with other functions to establish business priorities and resource allocation.
- Ensures effective quality strategies are created for the validation of test methods, process and design.
- Provides mentoring and coaching for others.
- Provide peer feedback for performance evaluations and developmental plans of others.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s Honours Degree Level 8, preferably in Engineering or related technical field. Generally, requires 5-8 years related experience.
Experience and Skills:
- Experience working in both an FDA and European regulatory environment is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of product/process Risk Management (FDA and ISO standards) is required.
- Technical training and experience using Statistics, Lean and Six Sigma Methodologies is required including Measurement System Analysis, SPC, DOEs, Reliability, etc.
- A thorough understanding of GMP/ISO regulations and validation regulations is preferred.
- Strong mentoring, coaching and leadership skills are required.
- Experience with a proven track record of implementing appropriate risk mitigation.
- Strong knowledge of statistical software packages is preferred with the ability to preview, graph and analyse data and be able to present data that facilitates/drives decision-making.
- The ability to perform "hands on" troubleshooting and problem solving is required. The ability to think on the feet and providing sound judgment is highly desired.
- Good technical understanding of manufacturing equipment and processes is required.
- Understanding of the NPI (New Product Introduction) process and Process Validation expertise is preferred.
- Demonstrated project management and project leadership abilities are preferred.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Ireland) Limited (8182)