Johnson & Johnson Innovation is seeking a Senior Manager, Transactions Asia Pacific to lead and contribute to the successful execution and implementation of the Asia Pacific Innovation Center’s (APIC) early stage R&D and business development transactions activities. Applying scientific, financial and negotiating expertise to establish productive collaborations with external partners, the Senior Manager will liaise with fellow APIC colleagues, internal R&D and commercial to engage with potential partners of innovative opportunities and evaluate the scientific and technical merits, competitive outlook, strategic fit, deal structure and value of the licensing opportunities relative to J&J’s needs and existing pipeline. The Senior Manager will partner with multiple functional groups within J&J, including finance, legal and compliance, to negotiate and execute agreements across J&J’s three business sectors: Pharmaceuticals, Medical Device and Consumer Health.
Be responsible for managing and executing global transactions at the Innovation Center, including diligence, negotiations, and championing the process for obtaining internal alignment and ultimately approvals. Serve as a key point of contact to manage the transactional and partnership management activities in the defined portfolio areas and Asia Pacific Innovation Center. Help to transfer the external assets as they mature to J&J businesses.
Direct a fact-based business case analysis, including sound and transparent exchange of the attractive and unattractive truths about the projects, estimates on time to execution, development timeline, costs and financial return/valuation considerations. Lead the drafting of internal approval materials, as well as coordinate and be accountable for term sheet development and agreement development and negotiations.
Plan, organize and lead appropriate meetings between J&J’s R&D and Commercial team/executives and the partners; identify follow up items of potential significant value with the guidance of R&D team; coordinate follow up discussions and execute appropriate agreements to enable productive collaborations.
Efficiently and thoroughly execute partnerships by leading or participating in cross-functional teams, driving a thoughtful negotiation and transactional approach.
Help to coordinate creative deal structures, including option deals and newco creation based on academic and other 3rd party assets. Help develop and articulate vision and business case for new opportunities.
Build a trusted internal network and work closely with other members of the Innovation Center, R&D and business unit and other J&J partners in order to perform high quality diligence.
Build and maintain close relationships with various industry participants including small biotech companies, venture capital, academic institutions, and other industry participants.
Ensure compliance with policies, procedures, and methodologies by ensuring the necessary team members have contributed input/support for the appropriate project.
Amount of travel required: up to 30%
Basic Qualifications :
Doctorate degree or Master’s degree and 2+ years of health care-related R&D, Business Development, Consulting or Investment Banking experience
Bachelor’s degree (preferably in the sciences or medicine) and 4 years of health care-related Business Development, consulting or investment banking experience
Preferred Experience :
- Bachelors in Medicine, MBA, or PhD in life sciences
- 5+ years of industry experience either in health care-related business development, consulting, and/or investment banking.
- Scientific knowledge/familiarity and understanding to identify and evaluate appropriate opportunities that are aligned with the internal R&D strategy
- Familiarity with valuing biopharmaceutical, medical device or consumer health assets (i.e., comparable analysis, eNPV analysis); Development of product sales forecasts and pricing analyses.
- Experience in project management and team leadership to effectively communicate and lead deal structuring and the negotiation process with cross functional teams, including R&D, legal, Compliance
- Experience in relationship building with external partners
- Effective communication skills, and ability to write and present to a wide range of audiences, up to senior executives including Directors, Executive Directors, and VPs
- Demonstrates strong “team player” attitude. Displays solid problem solving skills to balance risks and benefits and judge value on terms and conditions for contract negotiation
J&J (China) Investments Ltd (7046)