Part I – Position Description Summary
The Category Development team is tasked with delivering category plans that build sustainable growth and profit relative to category expectations for both J&J and our retail partners.
The Category Development team are the primary link between Customer Development and our external retailers and by influencing the visibility of our brands at all shopper touch points both in store and online, their role is critical to the success of J&J in the marketplace.
Building partnerships with our selected retailers through the deployment of our category strategies and compelling actionable solutions will enable us to grow category sales for the mutual benefit of our retailers and J&J. Winning at shelf and online is the primary goal of this team and the Category Development Manager is accountable for delivery of distribution and presence gains. A full understanding of the category and shopper needs will ensure the required positive outcomes for J&J at range reviews.
- Assigned categories. Deployment of tactics relating to category strategy drivers, creation of shelf strategies and delivery of shelf wins both physical and virtual.
- Customer specific JVC projects.
- Externally facing role.
- Key partners: Retailers, Customer Development, CS&P, Shopper Insight, Regional Shopper, Marketing, (Supply).
Part II - Key Deliverables:
- Analyses and makes recommendations for all category distribution/space changes in retailer range reviews based on shopper understanding, sales performance, retailer data, SKU profitability, shopper decision trees, incrementality and substitutability.
- Ensures all proposals are in line with the distribution, shelf and merchandising principles that meet shopper needs and optimise the assortment to maximise sales for the retailer and J&J.
- Set objectives for all range reviews in conjunction with CD team, takes ownership to gain agreement to the changes and is accountable for excellent delivery.
- Provide range/assortment recommendations that enable fast distribution and high quality visibility of NPI both in store and online.
- Utilise planogramming software to create and present fully tailored planograms detailing the proposed range review recommendations.
- Demonstrate expertise by utilising the J&J Category strategy at all external meetings to provide transparency on J&Js view and work to develop retailer specific tactical action plan.
- Provide actionable insights and practical distribution, shelf and merchandising solutions at the point of purchase to meet shopper expectations, grow category sales and gain competitive advantage.
- Ensure all external contact has a compelling insight at its heart with a clear ‘so what’ and a tangible action.
- Work with target retailers to develop category partnerships and/or to unlock JVC opportunities for the business.
- Develop strong working relationships with your retail customer by becoming the category authority and offering advice that supports the total category business.
- Figure out the correct contact strategy to ensure (where applicable) J&J are range review partners.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of retailer’s strategies, opportunities and challenges and look to align to and/or address these with any proposals made.
- Lead customer specific projects that are unlocked through the above, e g. fixturisation project.
- Lead and shape CD briefs with CCL and other meaningful parts of IBP process including clear guidance on distribution opportunities, opportunities for NPI, SKU hierarchies, ROS guidance and risks from tail skus.
- Engage in retailer planning days fully providing the objective category story to support J&J initiatives.
- Active involvement in the Joint Business Planning process including the key opportunities are by retailer.
- Where required be an active member of a PIP.
Part III – Job Requirements
- Consistent track record in Category Development – range reviews & category strategy with tangible examples of positive results.
- Experience working across channels preferred – Mass, Pharmacy, Ecommerce, Discounters & Convenience.
Influence & Impact
- Winning attitude and takes personal responsibility for delivering results.
- Ability to develop strong relationships across multiple partners.
- Positively champions Category across the business and leads category agenda.
Insights and Action
- Deep understanding of shopper needs with the ability to turn insights into tangible opportunities to both the retailer & J&J.
- Demonstrates a clear bias for action on priorities.
- Ability to make timely and effective decisions.
- Commercial and Financial acumen, using both to inform decision making.
- Understanding of channel behaviour and how that affects customer.
- Thorough knowledge of retail environment and customer strategies with the ambition of using this to drive opportunities for both the retailer and J&J.
- Ability to develop strong external partnerships to drive action.
Deliver, Connect, Shape (Lead)
Johnson & Johnson Limited (8700)