Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Data Engineer / Manager
Requisition ID: 1905745137W
Johnson & Johnson is one of the few global healthcare organizations with a history of leadership in the device, pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare sectors. With the convergence of genomic sequencing, electronic medical records (EMR), digital health and cloud computing, we can finally measure the genetic, clinical and environmental contributors to disease. Nowadays there is more data available than ever before and within Johnson & Johnson we have the interdisciplinary expertise to capture this data within a single patient population and extract valuable insights across these integrated datasets.
We at World Without Disease Accelerator (WWDA) within Johnson & Johnson, believe that the convergence of our capabilities will eventually allow providers to detect and intercept disease before the earliest clinical symptoms manifest. We are building an international team of data scientists and data engineers who share this view and are passionate about applying state of the art techniques to analyze diverse -omics, EMR, device, and clinical data.
The Sr Data Engineer / Manager will be a pivotal member of the Data Sciences & Prevention Biomarkers team: a globally distributed team of researchers and data scientists who are embedded alongside therapeutic area scientists. She/he will oversee and design the flow of internal and external data that are critical to the realization of the WWDA’s mission. In this role, she/he partners with our researchers and data scientists to design, model, test, implement, and proactively manage cloud platform(s) that ingest, host and QC data types from a variety of sources, ranging from clinical, genomic, consumer and mobile device data. He/she will have experience designing and implementing end-to-end cloud architectures for the ingestion and analysis of both “big data” and “streaming data”. On a project-by-project basis, this individual will also be responsible for leading a team of IT and developer personnel to execute on larger projects. Lastly, this individual will partner closely with his/her operations colleagues to ensure monitoring of standards and procedures in alignment with J&J policies.
Place of work can be either Leiden (the Netherlands) or Boston (US).
- Lead the design, modeling, testing, implementation and management of cloud-based systems across key use cases and data types; Examples include:
- Predictive biomarker discovery using next-generation profiling technologies (genomics, epigenetics, proteomics, microbiomics, metabolomics)
- Digital biomarker development from wearable technologies, unobtrusive/passive monitoring technologies and RWE datasets
- Patient stratification biomarker discovery based on deep learning algorithms applied to CT imaging data
- Recommend new technologies, architectures and business workflow improvements
- Organizes, performs and automates data transfers from and to WWDA’s external collaborators
- Works alongside the statistics and bioinformatics teams to scale and automate the coding of datasets for analysis
- Represent Data Sciences & Prevention Biomarkers in conversations with IT, when necessary
- Work with IT to ensure platform upgrades and improvements by supervising system programming.
- Monitors and reviews work product and ensures that any needed corrections are made.
- Ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget
- Reviews for proper definition, control and coordination of data elements and standards, and ensures successful development of efficient data relationships, systems
- Recommends improvement to data management policies and standards for efficient quality control and data administration
- Designs and operates client-server database performance monitoring software, and utilize hardware, software and manual procedures for the verification of database systems
- Oversees database system(s) operation. Ensures the efficient implementation and modification of database systems and resolves problems with database systems and applications
- Develops and controls data security and integrity including procedures for recovery and backup.
- Oversees the development of software programs, algorithms and automated processes that cleanse, integrate and evaluate large data sets from multiple disparate sources
- MSc’s degree (or equivalent) with at least 5 years of experience
- Expert in data management within the field of clinical/biological data according to applicable standards, guidelines and procedures
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) – Cloud Computing Services, specifically:
- S3, EC2, Lambda, Kinesis, EMR, Glue, Redshift & API Gateway
- Experience in 22CFRpart11 compliant LIMS and Data Collection & Reporting Software
- Good leadership skills to interface and cooperate with internal and external resources ensuring that company requirements are met
- Project Management within Data Management
- Bioinformatics skills with emphasis on large predictive and digital biomarker dataset analysis (see Duties and Responsibilities)
- Appropriate software knowledge and skills in programming languages (Python, SQL, R, etc.)
- Knowledge and understanding of laboratory technology and results including Quality Control checks
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention BV (8852)