Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientific Director - Computational Biologist
Requisition ID: 1905740461W
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of
Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientific
Director, located in Beerse, Belgium. At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies
of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and
healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most
devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising
science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and
develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs
in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and
cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are seeking a motivated computational biologist for a leadership position in the Mechanistic & Investigative Toxicology (MIT) Group within the Nonclinical Safety (NCS) function. You will have computational biology and systems biology experience, including a solid background in genetics /pathway biology/systems models with deep scientific expertise in omics technologies, computer science, bioinformatics, and data analysis. You will have strong leadership, communication, and networking skills to support the global function. You will lead collaborative efforts and joint projects with the broader Janssen R&D computational biology team(s). You will have a high level of autonomy and will support portfolio projects that span the whole drug discovery process, in addition to driving new innovative computational models for predictive safety. Although a background in toxicology is not required, you should be willing to learn the discipline. Preference for this position is in Beerse, Belgium but additional options for a base in the US (Spring House PA or La Jolla, CA) may be considered.
- Build a computational biology team within NCS that will be part of a collaborative community of computational biologists at Janssen
- Develop a vision for the group and implement strategies that are aligned with NCS strategies
- Make hiring decisions, manage staff, and identify training/development needs for direct reports
- Develop research strategies for the group and track deliverables
- With the NCS and R&D Data Sciences groups develop a strategy for systems biology data management to enable integration with other in vitro and in vivo toxicology data for translational risk assessment
- Build collaborative partnerships across NCS to address computational biology needs and gaps
- Be a key scientific partner with the computational biology sciences community including the metabolomic and proteomic groups.
- Identify and implement cutting-edge technologies and systems approaches with translational potential
- Leverage the scientific capabilities across NCS including pathology, clinical pathology, toxicology, and experts in specific model systems (in vitro and in vivo).
- Participate in or lead strategically aligned external groups relevant to computational biology sciences and/or toxicology
- Remain up to date with new developments in the field
- Work adaptively and flexibly with colleagues across sites spanning the globe in Janssen R&D and NCS.
- PhD in computational biology (or similar); a degree or knowledge in another scientific discipline is a plus
- Alternatively, a PhD in a scientific discipline with demonstrated computational biology experience
- At least 10 years of work experience is preferred
- Demonstrated track record of people (direct or matrix) or scientific leadership
- Established expertise in systems biology, modeling pathophysiology, and analysis of complex omics datasets is required.
- Experience building virtual in silico organ models is a plus
- Strong written and oral presentation skills with a record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and invited presentations
- Self-motivated with a high level of autonomy
- Strong interpersonal skills with a collaborative mindset
- Travel up to 20% both domestic and internationally is required
- An exciting position in an international and dynamic environment with continuous learning and growth opportunities
- An attractive remuneration package with additional benefit packages (for example hospital insurance, other health care incentives, pension plan,.. )
- An inclusive team environment where diversity and different opinions are respected and valued, and the importance of a good work-life balance is recognized.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)