Johnson & Johnson Careers
Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Requisition ID: 1905740117W
J&J Vision Care Ireland is in Limerick and produces the Acuvue range of contact lenses which is the leading contact lens product in the world. Our Limerick site uses the most advanced technology in the industry and we now employ over 1100 people directly. Using our highly automated production process, we produce daily disposable and extended wear contact lenses while utilizing state of the art technologies such as injection molding, robotics, conveyor systems, vision systems and sterilization systems.
J&J Vision Care Ireland was established in 1995 in the National Technology Park close to the University of Limerick. The facility was originally fitted with six advanced production lines to manufacture daily disposable contact lens for the European and Japanese markets. Since then we have expanded several times and now have over 40 production lines manufacturing over 8 million one-day, fortnightly, monthly and cosmetic contact lenses per day which are shipped worldwide.
J&J Vision Care Ireland is accredited by Engineers Ireland as being among the companies in Ireland that adhere to best practices in continuing professional development (CPD). This fits with the company’s commitment to give all its employees opportunities for professional development and advancement.
Each year, we have increased output because of the increase in demand for our Acuvue lenses throughout the world. Continued expansion of our product lines utilizing the latest Advanced Manufacturing technology and extensive NPI, engineering and retrofit projects ensure that this growth is sustained well into the future.
As Engineering Manager,:
You will lead key Programs & Projects that enable the success of the Vision Care business, delivering new, innovative, quality products to our customers in a timely and cost-effective manner. A vital part of this success is the ability to not only maintain the complex automated systems in use in house but also to deliver new projects and solutions that deliver real improvement against business objectives ( Safety , Quality, Delivery & Cost ) year on year.
This involves keeping up with the ever changing technological environment and equipment changes but also requires the skills to deliver seamless upgrades to respond to obsolescence and product changes.
You will be performance managing a highly competent team with strong expertise in many technologies working across multiple platforms and systems.
You will have the ability to identify and characterize critical manufacturing challenges and understand in detail the critical interactions between the equipment and product, which impact on Equipment, Process & Product performance. You will be able to drive continuous improvement projects that will deliver long term sustainable results.
You will be required to collaborate between the family of Johnson and Johnson sites both in Ireland and abroad to leverage learnings from outside the business.
You will be encouraged to take on new challenges to develop professionally within the franchise to progress your career.
This role is recognized within the organization as being of key strategic importance in terms of enabling the business to remain competitive and grow market share. You will be responsible for providing Engineering Management in the field of Manufacturing Engineering with specific ownership for the following:
• Actively contribute to and participate in the development and implementation of Vision Care’s Engineering strategic imperatives and objectives.
• Manage communication and work commitments with Functions external to the core team.
• Support and develop close collaboration between associates in Engineering functions, R&D, Operations, Regulatory, Quality Assurance, Planning, Strategic Sourcing, etc.
• Development of key strategic relations with other J&J sites, to facilitate cross site sharing of ideas.
• Manage day to day deliverables of Value Stream Manufacturing Engineering function.
• Provision of clearly defined roles & responsibilities and annual goals & objectives for direct reports.
• Co-ordinate the effective resourcing and management of individual performance to defined objectives.
• Be a role model for direct reports, by setting the appropriate norms and behavioural traits for all members of the Engineering team.
• Act as a mentor / coach to assist talent development within the Engineering Group.
• Provide Project Management governance support in delivering status updates and planning of activities for projects.
• Ensure the Manufacturing Engineering function conforms to Corporate, Franchise, Statutory, Legislative and Regulatory requirements for GMP, EHS & Quality.
• Identification and adoption of industry trends where appropriate.
• Ensure their team adheres to Safety standards
• Oversees the process of Engineering support on complex technical issues ensuring it is optimized for all parts of the operation
• Responsible for driving innovative change across all assets, through both equipment upgrades and equipment optimization. Accountable for year on year improvement on equipment output through CIP programs
• Contributes on a management level on the direction and strategy of the business
• Looks for areas to improve both within Engineering and other areas/ departments
• Appraises performance, rewards and disciplines employees, addresses complaints and resolves problems
• Develops and maintains a positive team environment
• Conducts regular and timely Performance Reviews for all direct reports
You will have a minimum qualification of Level 8. B.Sc. or B.Eng. honours degree in Mechanical, Production, Industrial Engineering, or equivalent, with a proven Engineering Management track record over a minimum of 5 years, leading a team of Engineers to deliver Continuous Improvement / NPI projects in a high-volume manufacturing environment. A Masters in Engineering or Business Administration would be advantageous, but not essential.
The ideal candidate will have a strong working knowledge of all aspects of complex automated manufacturing processes. You will have the ability to challenge existing paradigms, leading to the delivery of breakthrough business improvement initiatives that are aligned to the strategic business plan for the site. You will be able to think strategically with long term business goals in mind.
You have strong people and performance management experience.
You enjoy developing new Technical and People Management talent.
You enjoy new challenges and thrive in an ever changing cross functional environment.
You are comfortable challenging the status quo and enjoy developing innovative solutions.
You have strong Project Management skills with a track record for delivering projects in time and within budget.
You can relate well to people, and motivate them to perform to their maximum potential
You enjoy coaching & mentoring engineering professionals to deliver exceptional results and take satisfaction in enabling them to be successful.
Automation forms the strategic base upon which the Vision Care business has been developed and also the reason that it has maintained a competitive advantage to become the world’s leading contact lens manufacturing plant.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Ireland) Limited (8182)