Johnson & Johnson Careers
Associate Director, Mediciinal Chemistry
Requisition ID: 1905739968W
Janssen Shanghai Discovery Center is seeking a highly motivated and seasoned medicinal chemist to fill the position of Associate Director of Chemistry, who will play a key role in the medicinal chemistry team aiming to discover novel medicines to treat cancer and HBV related diseases. The successful candidate will drive medicinal chemistry strategy, manage a contracted chemistry team, build internal chemistry capabilities with high efficiency. The candidate must possess strong knowledge of modern medicinal chemistry and is capable to deliver differentiated New Molecular Entities to the Janssen product development pipeline. Using a mix of internal and external resources, he/she will partner with key stakeholders and represent medicinal chemistry on cross-functional project teams, and be responsible for building, managing, and delivering the chemical matter of the clinical pipeline.
- Ability to work and effectively lead a cross functional team that consists of molecular & cellular biology, pharmacology, cheminformatics, ADME, toxicology, structural biology, computational chemistry, chemical development.
- As a chemistry leader, drive and direct medicinal chemistry function for one or more drug discovery projects. Strong scientific insight contributes to high quality drug candidate selections and milestone deliveries.
- Familiar with modern drug discovery design and modeling tools, able to anticipate challenges and creatively implement the novel concepts and technology platforms to solve problems.
- Provide scientific oversight and accountability of medicinal chemistry activities in assigned projects with high laboratory productivity.
- Responsible for developing medicinal chemistry strategies and ensuring efficient execution of tactics to meet project goals and timelines.
- Strategic thinker with excellent communication skills. Effective global stakeholder management through oral presentations and written reports.
- Manage a medicinal chemistry team of multiple MS/PhD-level scientists both internal and external within ongoing portfolio projects. Develop the capabilities of the staff through mentoring and by promoting a culture that embraces open scientific debate and accountable for timely decision-making.
- High learning agility and capable to work effectively across disease/therapeutic areas.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to establish & maintain productive partnership within the diverse group of talents across global R&D organizations through clear and transparent communication.
- Participate in portfolio and stage-gate reviews, aid in the preparation and presentation of dossiers for new molecular entity nomination and advancement.
- Participate in shaping and implementing strategies that support medicinal chemistry department growth objectives.
- Serve as a scientific expert in Janssen medicinal chemistry community and provide insight and recommendations on new targets and emerging external opportunities.
- PhD in synthetic or medicinal chemistry is required, preferably with postdoctoral experience.
- 8+ years of experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry with a proven track record of innovative projects and key contributions to clinical candidate selection.
- Broad experience and proven accomplishments in a field of medicinal chemistry, preferably in one or more fields of oncology, immunology and virology, with operational skills for managing discovery programs at the level of a team leader and a proven track record of delivering clinical candidates is highly desirable.
- Must demonstrate strong scientific innovation exemplified by a record of patent inventorship, conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic and medicinal chemistry with ability to successfully and simultaneously conduct medicinal chemistry on multiple projects is required.
- Solid comprehension of cellular /molecular biology, biochemistry, disease pharmacology, mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic relationship, and formulation science is essential.
- Expert knowledge of computational chemistry and working knowledge of biophysical methods such as X-ray crystallography and macromolecular NMR is required.
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary, cross-functional teams to advance projects, with involvement in supporting cross-company/external collaborations or partnerships is a must.
- Ability to integrate multiple R&D disciplines into a successful strategy and project plan is required.
- Candidate must have strong problem solving skills for developing innovative solutions to meet project goals.
- Must demonstrate influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to succeed as a team player.
J&J (China) Investments Ltd (7046)