Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Legal Counsel
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Requisition ID: 1905731719W
Senior Legal Counsel, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Group UK & Ireland
Location: Pinewood Office, Wokingham, United Kingdom
Opening Date: 3/4/2019
Closing Date: 3/5/2019
Johnson & Johnson’s Medical Devices Group produces a broad range of innovative products and solutions in the fields of orthopaedics, surgical oncology, general surgery, neurosurgery & neurological disease, infection prevention, cardiovascular disease, vision, diabetes care and aesthetics. As the most comprehensive devices business in the world, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Group is best suited to serve evolving customer needs, train more surgeons to improve standards of care, and treat more patients globally as access expands.
This role will provide legal support to Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Group UK & Ireland, reporting in to the Legal Director, and will be based at the company’s offices in Pinewood, Wokingham. The successful candidate will receive extensive support and assistance in transitioning into their new role from both the Legal Director and Senior Legal Counsel who is also based on site in Pinewood.
Job Content/ Key Accountabilities
Legal support of Medical Devices Group in UK and Ireland
- Provide strategic and operational day to day legal support for Johnson & Johnson Medical Device businesses in the UK/Ireland.
- Assume the role of lead lawyer for the DePuy Synthes, VisionCare and Consumer Eye Health businesses in the UK/Ireland and be an active participant on their leadership teams.
- Supervise the conduct of any UK/Ireland litigation related to these businesses, including product liability litigation.
- Provide legal support to the bids & tenders team and advise on public procurement related issues.
- Draft and review contracts to support the implementation of innovative new contracting models.
- Advise on distribution agreements, and other commercial agreements in the UK/Ireland.
- Advise on pricing queries and structures relating to the above businesses.
- Review terms and conditions relating to the sale of medical devices.
- Provide legal support relating to the divestiture of local operating businesses and local integration of any newly acquired businesses.
- Advise on competition law considerations and other legal issues associated with new supply, pricing or business models.
- Align with key stakeholders on legal priorities, training and education needs and consistent compliance efforts.
- Provide legal training to local management and other key stakeholders, including training to the bids and tenders team.
- Support the local Healthcare Compliance organization and provide anti-bribery compliance advice.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Qualified solicitor in English law or applicable equivalent.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- At least 8 years of relevant legal experience since qualification.
- Experience of working in a Large Global Healthcare Matrix Organisation
- Broad-based commercial and corporate experience.
- Experience of drafting and reviewing complex agreements.
- Strong In-house experience in a similar complex matrix environment.
- Knowledge of competition law.
- Experience of advising and influencing senior leadership teams/stakeholders.
- Knowledge of public procurement law or experience of public procurement.
- Knowledge of UK or other bribery/anti-corruption legislation.
As a Senior Legal Counsel, you would also need to possess the following skills and capabilities:
- Self-starter with a strong drive for results and a strong sense of ownership, but also a willingness to take direction.
- Business oriented with an ability to dedicatedly engage with business colleagues to find practical solutions and partner with them to implement their desired action plans and contribute to compliant growth for the business.
- Good judgement, business consultative skills and an ability to think in a structured way.
- Ability to work independently and effectively across all levels of a matrix organization.
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to counsel senior management on complex legal matters.
- Comfortable working as part of different teams and keen to interact with a diverse group of people and different businesses.
- Objective thinker who is able to advance ideas and influence others.
- Ability to manage conflicts in an open and constructive manner.
- Able to set an example and ensure high ethical, legal and compliance standards.
- Capable of engaging in discussions about new business models and approaches.
- Comfortable taking care of ambiguity and ability to simplify complicated issues for clients.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills. Builds positive relationships, prepared to speak up, present and actively participate in business and legal discussions.
- Good self-awareness, high level of discernment, eye for business, dynamic and constructive mindset, eager to seek and receive feed-back.
Johnson & Johnson are an equal opportunity employer.
Johnson & Johnson Medical Ltd. - fka -Ethicon Ltd. (7355)