Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Scientist Formulation Development
Requisition ID: 1905726824W
The Drug Product Development (DPD) department consists of four teams that work closely together: Formulation Development (FD), Fill/Finish Process (FFP), Formulation Science & Technology (FST), and Technical Integrators (TI). The DPD department develops the bulk drug substance and drug product formulations, the aseptic compounding and fill/finish processes, and oversees DP manufacturing at fill/finish sites within and outside Janssen. The department is embedded in the broader Vaccine Process & Analytical Development (VPAD) organization and collaborates with the clinical (supply) teams to define the storage and distribution network, and to generate in-use stability data.
The individual will plan, coordinate and execute scientific studies to support projects and deliverables (e.g. preformulation studies, formulation studies, temperature excursion guides). You will perform data analysis and write scientific reports. On one end, you will work close together with the technical staff in the lab to perform the experimental work. On the other, you work closely together with the formulation development scientists and fill/finish engineers to develop study plans and translate the results of the development work into clear guidance captured in reports. You may also represent FD in a multi-disciplinary project team, operating at the interface with other groups, and will support the implementation of new programs into development.
• Designs and executes experiments to reach the project targets. Accountable for accompanying documentation such as Study Plans and Study Reports.
• Adheres to timelines for performing experiments.
• Participates in cross-departmental technology and investigation teams.
• Accountable for proper recording of information and collection of the data and for review of experimental results.
• Discusses problems and presents plans and data in internal scientific meetings.
• Ensures the availability of materials and equipment to perform experiments.
• Challenges the status-quo; leads and adapts to change.
• Value creation. Is responsible for innovation, conception of new ideas. Creates Intellectual Property. Is insight-driven to uncover unmet needs.
• Complies to EHS and GRP-standards and has solid JnJ Credo awareness acting accordingly
Key Performance Indicators
• Delivers assigned project deliverables with high quality, within budget and timelines.
• Able to think and challenge beyond own expertise area.
• Takes quick action driven by scientific curiosity.
• Personal targets.
Specific professional/technical requirements
Education & experience
- MSc/PharmD/PDEng in a relevant discipline in biopharmaceutical sciences/engineering, biotechnology or analytical development OR Bachelor with 5+ years of experience
- At least 3 years pharmaceutical industry experience, preferably in a biopharmaceutical drug development environment
- Familiarity with (vaccine) formulation development, adjuvants, drug delivery systems
- Working knowledge of biophysical and chemical characterization techniques
- Must have experience with one or more of the following techniques: HPLC/UPLC, DLS, PCR, fluorimetry, UV/Vis absorbance, DSC, TMA
Pro-active, flexible, and enjoys working in a team. Creativity and out-of-the-box mindset are key for this position.
Janssen Vaccines & Prevention BV (8852)