Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, Infectious Diseases & Vaccines/Cardiovascular Metabolism/Neuroscience Innovation
Requisition ID: 1905722684W
The successful candidate will contribute to and implement the external innovation plan to deliver the Infectious Diseases, Cardiovascular / Metabolism and Neuroscience Therapeutic Area (TA) strategies. He/she will demonstrate superior scientific credibility, influencing skills and organizational savvy that will solidify Janssen's place as the partner of choice in a highly competitive landscape of external collaborations and partnerships. They will apply highest level scientific expertise and insights to identify the best opportunities for value-generating collaborations, develop an industry-leading portfolio of investment opportunities, and cultivate a strong scientific reputation and a network of experts in the Asia Pacific innovation community.
The company is seeking to appoint an expert who will boost JJI’s network across these TA’s space and garner more momentum to our Infectious Diseases goals of improved treatment and prevention of respiratory viral and bacterial infections, functional cure of HIV and HBV viral infection, and selective eradication of pathobionts of the human microbiome associated with a range of non-infectious diseases. In the Cardiovascular / Metabolism space, we will be seeking opportunities in metabolic, cardiac, and retinal diseases and in pulmonary arterial hypertension and in Neuroscience, specific areas of interest are Neurodegenerative Disorders and Mood Disorders.
Additionally, they will lead collaborations for asset development with Pharma, Biotech and academic partners to produce win-win value-creation and maintain close connections to the Infectious Disease, Cardiovascular / Metabolism and Neuroscience TA’s Discovery functions, and leverage internal capabilities as required to advance programs through the pipeline. They will liaise with other TA Scientific Innovation Leaders, providing guidance and support on an as-needed basis with the highest level of expertise, mature judgment and experience.
She/he will develop effective relationships with the Infectious Diseases (ID) TA Scientific Innovation Head, the Global Head of Discovery, TA Disease Area Stronghold leaders, & members of the ID TA Senior Leadership Team. Additionally, this role will interact with colleagues and leaders across functional areas and may include members of the Janssen R&D SLT as appropriate, including the Head of Pharma R&D. Comparable relationships will need to be established with their respective counterparts in the Cardiovascular / Metabolism and Neuroscience TAs, and potentially with the Immunology TA also.
The successful candidate will represent Janssen in major innovation cities and satellites in the APAC region. They will also build collaborative and interactive relationships with universities, academic medical centers, small biotech companies (pre-POC) and the venture capital community via interactions with the Johnson & Johnson Development Corporation (JJDC) and JLABs Shanghai.
This is a newly created role in the company and the first-year objectives are suitably demanding and include:
· Develop a network and, working with Shanghai IC colleagues, ensure that the Innovation Center concept and activities are recognized by the VC, Biotech and Academic community in the region.
· Identify, evaluate, champion and deliver at least one novel target collaboration into the company portfolio in line with current DAS strategy and in partnership with DAS leaders in one of the three TAs.
· Work with key external investigators to ensure the creation of win-win relationships.
· Build mutually respectful relationships with internal J&J stakeholders and utilize their expertise when needed for the evaluation of opportunities.
· Fully participate in the J&J Innovation Center activities to enhance the visibility of the three TAs in the Asia Pacific region.
This is a role where the appointed candidate will be able to bring together and utilize a broad array of their skills and experiences. They will be afforded a degree of freedom to develop innovative and creative solutions to establish their own network of key contacts, develop what may be novel solutions to negotiate partnerships, and forge other collaborations and business development deals.
Therefore, the ideal candidate will possess:
· A minimum of 15 years’ experience gained in the pharmaceutical industry/ biotech/academia.
· A record of accomplishment in drug discovery in a field relevant to Infectious Diseases, Cardiovascular / Metabolism or Neuroscience, have a good understanding of trends in technologies and the latest scientific thinking.
· A comprehensive network of key academics and biotech executives in at least infectious diseases research, and preferably also with contacts across Neuroscience and Cardiovascular/Metabolism research
· A thorough understanding and experience of the drug development process, at least up until clinical “proof of concept”.
· Have strong presentation skills and be able to adjust their style as to the requirements of the audience. This may include scientific / clinical experts, investors, senior management team etc.
· Have demonstrated experience of working to create collaborations and partnerships, from either an operating standpoint or to create a deal agreement between two entities.
· Should have operated at a senior R&D leadership level and have not only scientific credibility (evidenced by a publication track record), but business acumen and gravitas to be successful in a role where he/she will be afforded considerable autonomy to operate in a matrix structure interacting with both J&J Innovation and Janssen teams.
· Excellent analytical and organisational skills to manage multiple projects and relationships, particularly in the Discovery and early clinical phases.
· Outstanding conversational, presentation, negotiation and written communication skills with some working experience in an international environment.
· Self-motivated and passionate about identifying collaboration or licensing / investment opportunities, and then working with New Ventures & Transactions and Legal colleagues to bring transactions to execution a successful conclusion and delivering quality results from those collaborations
· A consummate team player with the ability to collaborate effectively across all levels of the organisation.
· A creative problem solver, with the flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities.
A PhD or MD/PhD coupled with 15 years of industry/academia/biotech experience is essential.
J&J (China) Investments Ltd (7046)