Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Requisition ID: 1905719527W
Role – Mechanical Design Engineer / Senior
Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: DePuy Synthes Leeds, UK
DePuy Synthes, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting Senior Mechanical Design Engineers within our new product and commercialised product development teams in R&D.
DePuy Synthes is a leader in the medical device industry. Orthopaedic surgeons use our implants and instruments to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries.
As the world's largest orthopedic business, we offer unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs across the globe in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. We are advancing innovations by bringing new learning and perspectives to ever-changing challenges within orthopaedic health care. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com.
We require an experienced Senior / Mechanical Design Engineer to support the development and delivery of design solutions, 3D models, drawings and associated design verification activities. You will need to be a creative problem solver with the ability to effectively turn customer requirements into design solutions. Delivery of 3D-CAD modelling and detailing will be in accordance to ISO/ASME and company standards including the application of geometrical dimensioning and tolerancing and weld specifications. Experience working within Teamcenter and Siemens NX are desirable.
- The R&D team is diverse, and you will work closely with Product Development Engineers, Project Managers, other Mechanical Design Engineers and external vendors.
- Beyond functional diversity the R&D teams are sited globally, and you will have the opportunity to work with colleagues from around the world.
- Project timelines are demanding, therefore excellent time management skills and the ability to deal with challenging deliverables is essential. Communication and negotiation skills are also essential to facilitate timely completion of your goals.
- Competency in the design for manufacture of plastic injection moulded parts and/or medical devices will be an advantage.
Skills and Abilities (Can Do Criteria):
- You will be adept at prioritizing tasks and handling a dynamic and diverse workload.
- Through collaboration with other functions you will lead and deliver critical projects on time.
- You will have the ability to design, perform and verify engineering calculations and simulations that verify detailed designs and minimise physical testing.
- You will possess a good understanding of stainless steels and polymers and can rationalise appropriate material selection criteria.
- You will understand the limitations of common manufacturing processes and inspection techniques.
- You will take ownership for design commitments, delivering to agreed timescales in line with project plans.
- Proactive management of design related engineering changes and the impact on other functions within the business.
- You will have the ability to work without supervision
- You will be able to demonstrate excellent teamworking skills and flexibility
- You will be a confident and effective communicator
- An understanding of the principles of risk management and an ability to identify and mitigate design related risks.
- And have a thorough understanding of the product development process, with a grasp of the specific requirements applicable to medical devices being advantageous
- Knowledge of Design for Six Sigma methodology would also be beneficial
Experiences and Qualifications:
- Product Development experience is required
- Experience in Medical Device Product Development is an advantage.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline is essential.
- Up to 10% of your time may be required for travel.
If you decide to apply for the position, any personal data which you provide shall be processed by Johnson & Johnson. Your personal data shall be processed for the purposes of recruitment, recruitment policy and selection.
We respectfully request Government Officials to identify themselves as such on application; for the purposes of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
Depuy Int'l Ltd. (8722)
R&D Engineering (R&D)