Johnson & Johnson Careers
Associate Scientist (1 year )
Requisition ID: 1905716115W
Janssen Pharmaceutical Research & Development is a global R&D organization, part of Johnson & Johnson, with research sites in both the USA and Europe. Its main European site, a state-of–the art facility employing over 1,000 scientists, is located in Beerse, 35 km from Antwerp, with a long-standing reputation for innovative and successful research. Since 2009, the Company has focused on 5 therapeutic areas: neuroscience, immunology, oncology, infectious diseases and vaccines, cardiovascular/metabolic disorders.
Janssen Infectious Diseases & Vaccines (ID&V) has delivered products with major impact on the lives of patients with HIV and Hepatitis C, and is now focusing on Hepatitis B, respiratory infections and neglected tropical diseases. As one of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies, our strategy is to identify the biggest unmet medical needs and match them with the best science, internal or external, to find solutions for patients and to improve public health by fighting infectious diseases worldwide.
Janssen ID&V and discovery sciences are looking for an innovative, passionate and experienced researcher to join our team in Beerse. The successful candidate will have a background in HIV research and can demonstrate expertise in Immunology, primary cell isolation, cell culture and a broad range of functional assays with primary human cells. The candidate should be comfortable working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (include, but are not limited to)
- Contribute to various projects within the Infectious Diseases and discovery sciences department by proposing novel and actionable ideas, aligned with internal and external scientific strategies and demands
- Independently design and execute various types of cell-based assays
- Demonstrate creative and analytical capabilities to interpret, troubleshoot and report on complex data
- Analyze and document experimental data in laboratory notebooks and assist in the preparation of SOPs, study reports, patents and publications as required
- Keep up-to-date on literature related to his/her field in support of research and assay development
- Keep up-to-date on the most recent technical advances in the field of human primary cell-based assays
- Present scientific data to colleagues and assist in the preparation of internal and external presentations to senior management
- Maintain amnis image flowcytometer.
- Applicant should hold
- Bachelor or Master degree in a relevant discipline (HIV research, cell biology or related discipline)
- Expertise in virology/Immunology is desirable
- some experience in a high-quality academic, biotech or pharmaceutical environment
- some knowledge and hands-on experience in flow cytometry is a plus
- Experience with FACSDIVA and FlowJo software for data analysis is a merit
- Very good theoretical knowledge and practical experience of culturing cell lines and primary cells, and cellular immune assays
- Experience with immunohistochemistry, fluorescence microscopy, and ELISPOT and other readouts of antigen-specific immune responses are a strong plus
- Basic statistical knowledge is desired
- Additional experience in standard molecular and cell biology techniques are a strong plus
- Personal skills:
- Ability to rapidly learn and apply techniques
- Strive for technical perfection
- Flexibility (tolerate changes in priorities/directions)
- Sense of urgency (self-motivation)
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage several projects simultaneously, with ability to interact and communicate with different project leaders
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken)
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)