Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Development Engineer
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 1805700079W
Caring for the world, one person at a time... inspires and unites the people of Johnson & Johnson. We embrace research and science - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every single day, throughout the world.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of technology, devices, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, cranio-maxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Our broad array of inspired, innovative and high-quality offerings help advance the health and well-being of people around the world.
For our site in Zuchwil-Switzerland we are looking for a highly committed:
SENIOR DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
You will be responsible for the design and development of new and improvements/modifications of existing implants and instruments. And will be an integral training/mentoring resource to all product development engineers with a focus on associate product development engineers.
The Senior Development Engineer:
- Designs and develops new implants and instruments and develops improvements and modifications to current products according to the Synthes product development process
- Responsible for the product design
- Is primary contact person for technical questions/issues of existing products
- Participates or leads product development projects
- Works with surgeons, sales force and others for design requirements, design concept development, prototype and cadaver evaluation, and clinical follow-up
- Responsible for initial patent review of designs for freedom to operate as well as for the protection of new concepts, techniques and products through proper patenting
- In close collaboration with the technical engineering office, generates product models, concept layouts, and prints using a CAD software
- Responsible for the performance of the product and its mechanical stability, as well as the application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Develops mechanical test set-ups (including derivation of benchmarks) according to national and international standards and coordinates the activities required to fabricate test parts and complete mechanical testing (according to PD process)
- Works with manufacturing during the design stages to incorporate manufacturability into the product designs and during the implementation phase to clarify design issues
- Performs the required activities and generates the appropriate PD documents to ensure compliance with national and international regulations related to medical devices (in particular EU MDD, US FDA, Japanese PAL)
- Supports surgeons with regards to handling of implants/instruments and engineering-specific questions
- Know and follow all laws and policies that apply to the job, and to maintain the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and compliance at all time
- Maintains awareness of surgical trends through involvement with or support of AO expert groups within the TK system and other expert bodies
- Performs other special projects and functions as assigned.
- Responsible for managing high impact and particularly complex projects within the group or across the organization
- Establishes and maintains relationships with experts in the field (i.e. surgeons, research scientists, metallurgists, etc.)
- Performs Group Manager related tasks when required and is deputy
- Trains and mentors DEs and ADEs, this can involve formal leadership
- University or ETH course plus at least 5 years practical experience or 2 years following award of doctorate, or
- Experienced professional, who has mastered the job through professional training and extensive experience (min. 12 years)
- Electronic engineering background with mechanical engineering a strong preferred.
- Big plus would be a software development validation background.
- Spread sheet and CAD/CAM, materials science — Project management
- Mechanical experience (construction, production), min. 5 years as Development Engineer
- You are creative and a problem-solver
- You have planning skills and have the willingness to accept responsibility
- You can work independent yet a team player
- English business fluency is a requirement; German a plus!
This position will be based in Zuchwil and require up to 10% travel, including possible international travel.
If you feel attracted by this challenge and want to be part of a successful and growing organization, then please send us your online application (CV, Motivation Letter, Working References etc.) by clicking here.
Please click on DePuy Synthes and Johnson & Johnson if you want to learn more about our business and check our new career channel on YouTube www.youtube.com/user/CareersAtJNJ to understand our working culture!
Synthes GmbH (7111)
R&D Engineering (R&D)