Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
Requisition ID: 1805697200W
Janssen Research & Development seeks to bring innovative and effective treatments in six therapeutic areas: neuroscience, cardiovascular diseases and metabolism, infectious diseases, immunology, oncology and pulmonary hypertension. In these areas, Janssen aims to address and solve unmet medical needs through the development of small and large molecules, as well as vaccines. The Janssen campus in Beerse (Belgium) has a unique ecosystem covering the complete drug development life cycle, with all capabilities from basic science to market access on one campus. The integrated environment of our campus gives our people the chance to experience many different aspects of drug development throughout their career. It has a successful track record of over sixty years of drug discovery and development, and is one of the most important innovation engines of the Janssen group worldwide.
Together with colleagues from the research sites in Val De Reuil (France) and Toledo (Spain) the Beerse medicinal chemistry group focusses mainly on developing innovative small molecule therapeutics to treat diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, various types of cancers and infectious diseases like Hepatitis B, influenza etc. In this endeavor, the chemistry teams work closely together with colleagues from the associated Biology teams and with several internal and external partners aiming to progress the most innovative science and gain access to the latest state-of-the-art technologies and expertise. To support its research activities in the above mentioned disease areas, the Medicinal Chemistry team is seeking to recruit new scientists into medicinal chemistry research positions in Beerse.
We are seeking an entry-level PhD chemist with excellent organic synthesis expertise to advance small molecule drug discovery programs toward the clinic. In this laboratory-based position, the successful candidate will partner with both internal and external medicinal chemistry teams to generate innovative solutions to synthetic and medicinal chemistry challenges within the context of small molecule drug discovery projects. She/he will maintain close interactions with computer assisted design scientists, biologists, pharmacologists, and pharmaceutical development scientists. Strong people skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment are key attributes.
This individual must also excel in communication and have strong interpersonal skills necessary to influence in a collaborative multidisciplinary environment.
- Maintaining a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting.
- Developing and executing clear synthetic strategies towards complex molecules using state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies.
- Independently designing and synthesizing drug-like molecules utilizing medicinal chemistry knowledge and an understanding of ADME, pharmacokinetics and optimal physicochemical properties.
- Collaboratively supporting the advancement of compounds through in vitro and in vivo studies to identify development candidates.
- Collaboration with structure-based design groups to impact rational design of molecules.
- Generating novel, testable hypotheses to enable clear decision making.
- Contributing to defining scientific strategies and goals within a project team setting.
- Presenting data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental meetings.
- Drafting, executing and serving as lead author on research published in peer reviewed journals, and presenting work at scientific conferences.
- Develop and supervise more junior staff where applicable.
- Keep abreast of the emerging scientific literature with respect to medicinal chemistry and synthetic organic chemistry
- A PhD in synthetic, organic or medicinal chemistry
- Postdoctoral experience is preferred
- Strong track record of achievement in the synthesis of complex molecules and/or synthetic methodology development, with deep knowledge of modern synthetic & analytical techniques is required
- Proven track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents and presentations is required
- Hands on experience with automated synthesis approaches and/or high throughput experimentation is preferred
- Independent thinking and the ability to effectively collaborate in a highly matrixed environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of presentations.
- Fluent in English
- A passion for hands-on science and delivering high quality results in the lab.
- Enthusiastic scientist with can-do mentality that can proactively connect to the Medicinal Chemistry team and other relevant departments, fostering discussion and knowledge exchange.
- Good communication, organizing, and planning skills and the ability to take leadership for and drive decision making in a research project.
- Ability to develop and deliver a presentation on technical data with strong business impact.
- Creative mind that can see things from different perspectives and come up with innovative solutions to complex problems. Ability to introduce best practices from previous work experiences into the new team.
- Desire for continuous learning and the ability to identify, evaluate and implement emerging areas of science.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)