Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, New Ventures & Transactions (Vision Care)
Requisition ID: 1805689001W
Johnson & Johnson
Johnson & Johnson (J&J) is the world's most comprehensive and broad-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the pharmaceutical, consumer health, and medical device markets. There are more than 260 Johnson & Johnson operating companies who employ over 130,000 people worldwide.
The Innovation Centres:
Part of Johnson & Johnson’s Global External Innovation organization, Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI) has established Innovation Centers (ICs) in California (South San Francisco), Cambridge/Boston, London, and Shanghai (www.jnjinnovation.com).
The ICs constitute a platform from which Johnson & Johnson identifies, catalyzes, contributes to, and accesses the most promising medical innovations at the leading life sciences companies and universities across the globe.
J&J’s goal is to build a pipeline of innovative products that will benefit patients and will augment long-term corporate growth. Operating within major hubs of innovation allows J&J the opportunity to access technologies earlier and to help translate them into products for patients by contributing financial, intellectual, and human capital. As the leading diversified healthcare company in the world, J&J seeks external innovation across a broad range of sectors, including biopharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer healthcare, diagnostics and digital health.
The J&J Innovation Centers is a part of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies and is currently recruiting for a New Venture Transactions Lead, to be based in our London Centre.
The New Venture Transactions Team:
The role reports in to the VP for New Ventures and Transactions and this role will be an integral part of the New Venture Transactions team in the London Innovation Center (LIC).
The team is responsible for the identification and evaluation of innovations of potentially high interest to J&J’s operating companies based on J&J’s defined strategies, in strategic adjacencies and in new areas.
For opportunities that continue to be of high interest after due diligence, the New Venture Transactions team is responsible for working with teammates in the scientific, finance, legal (and in some cases venture capital) groups to identify the optimal partnership deal structure and then shepherding the deal through to deal closure. In some cases, the New Venture Transactions team also contribute to the management and optimization of partnerships after the deal closure.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will focus on external innovation opportunities in Eye Health, including both biopharmaceuticals and medical devices.
The chosen candidate will work closely with other scientific experts in the London IC to source, screen, evaluate and optimally capture opportunities of high strategic value.
They will identify target opportunities and build business relationships with relevant emerging healthcare companies and with top academic institutions across Europe.
The individual will leverage their existing network of relationships with entrepreneurs, venture investors and key scientific opinion leaders in London and across Europe to generate a flow of innovative opportunities aligned with J&J business strategies.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will work with the Innovation Centre and venture investor teammates, with teammates in Johnson & Johnson Vision and with key internal and external scientific and marketing experts to coordinate due diligence reviews of collaboration, licensing, and investment opportunities.
Working collaboratively with scientific, technical, legal, and finance colleagues, they will recommend collaboration models, structure deals (including new company creation, where indicated) and lead deal negotiations.
They will be responsible for tracking target innovation companies and opportunities using CRM software.
The assistance in the onboarding and ongoing partnership management of collaborations to maximize the chances of collaborative success.
You could be called upon to research and create points of view on potential new areas of ground-breaking healthcare innovation. And you must be able to serve as an ambassador for JJI both internally and externally.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will also help to source, screen and mentor companies with game-changing science for JLABS. (JLABS is the world’s premier life science incubator, empowering and enabling innovators to deliver life-enhancing health and wellness solutions to people around the globe.)
Experience & Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s Degree in science
- An advanced degree in Vision science, Optometry or Ophthalmology (preferably a PhD, an MD, or both)
- Previous work experience in the field of biopharmaceuticals and Medical Devices. This work experience could have been acquired through working directly in a biopharmaceutical or Medical Device company (whether large or small) or through work experience in venture investing, management consulting, or investment banking.
- Business development deal sourcing and transactional experience, including familiarity with biopharma research collaboration and license negotiations, is strongly preferred, as is a general understanding of equity investing.
- Access to, or familiarity with, an existing network of life science innovators and venture investors in London and across Europe would be highly beneficial.
- Experience in an entrepreneurial company is advantageous
- A demonstrated track record of high performance, academically and professionally.
- The ability to play an integral role in the sourcing, negotiation, internal championship, and closure.
- Must be able to communicate well, both in oral and written form
- Strengths in the following competencies would be ideal: leadership, industriousness, flexibility, and a high capacity for teamwork.
This position is in London, United Kingdom and requires willingness to travel (including internationally) up to 30% of the time.
Johnson & Johnson is a supporter of equal opportunities and is a proud member of Disability Confident.
Johnson & Johnson Medical Ltd. - fka -Ethicon Ltd. (7355)