Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, Government Affairs
Zuchwil, Switzerland; Switzerland; Zug, Switzerland; Bern, Switzerland
Requisition ID: 1805686236W
Switzerland is uniquely important for Johnson & Johnson because of the size of the supply chain footprint, the major acquisitions in recent years, the Swiss tax structure at federal and cantonal level and the important dynamic of Swiss and the EU relations in light of Brexit.
As the successful candidate, you will lead the J&J Government Affairs and Policy (GA&P) activity in Switzerland. Working closely with J&J businesses and supply chain, you will have overall responsibility for all GA&P related activities. You will evaluate, analyze, create, and shape government policies that support all operations of the Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies in Switzerland.
The company is seeking to appoint an expert who will build and enhance J&J's network across the political and policymaking spectrum, to support and advance the interests of J&J's diverse businesses in Switzerland.
- Build strong external relations with policy and decision makers at Federal, cantonal and local level both with the executive part and elected officials as with the administration and relevant trade bodies.
- Monitor the policy and political environment for salient and emerging issues on both industry related and general economic, taxation and social frame conditions.
- Determine those issues of greatest impact to the J&J’s operations in Switzerland and business across Europe, through close collaboration with the Swiss Leadership Team, all businesses operating in Switzerland, all sites and other internal stakeholders.
- Ensure that business areas are informed of government initiatives and/or policies that may present a threat or opportunity to the company’s short and long-term planning objectives.
- Convey to the respective leadership teams how complex laws and regulations move through the federal and cantonal political process (including the current and future impact of industry relevant EU legislation and its respective implementation in Switzerland) and recommend how various issues should be prioritized and resolved in the context of the political environment.
- Provide strategic input and guidance to the organization on the implementation of government policies.
- Solicit stakeholder input and feedback on key concerns and issues.
- Prepare management for or represents JnJ directly in relevant meetings and hearings with government
- Work closely with management, supply chain leaders, functional leaders such as Tax, comms/PA, HEMAR, Legal, GCI, R&D, etc. to build the narrative and supporting elements to represent JnJ competitively in the external environment.
- As Chair of the Swiss External Affairs Council, you will collaborate with sector resources/colleagues to coordinate activities, optimize impact, complement sector and enterprise interests for the overall benefit of JnJ
- With stakeholder input, craft the company advocacy position; advocates on behalf of the company with policy makers and through trade associations, ad hoc alliances and relevant political stakeholders.
You will also be responsible to
- Conduct a topic and stakeholders mapping for all areas relevant to J&J businesses and supply chain and identify what additional relationships and networks J&J needs to establish.
- Develop and executing a stakeholder engagement strategy.
- Develop relationships with key elected political leaders and their staffs from various political parties, with the relevant legislative committees in the Federal Parliament (i.e. Social Security and Health / Economic Affairs and Taxation), with relevant departments, and with other senior key health policy administrators and government agency officials
- Maintain and expanding J&J’s share of voice with key policy makers through continued engagement on priority policy issues.
- Define interaction models between the various sites in Switzerland with the relevant cantonal and communal authorities, in alignment with J&J Swiss Leadership Team and Swiss External Affairs Council.
- Guide the stakeholder engagement on relevant cantonal level (government and industry associations) where businesses of J&J have a particular interest.
- Serve as company representative at Swiss industry trade associations on political and government affairs strategies.
- Develop and executing strategies for leveraging the work of trade associations to advance J&J’s goals, i.e. in forming their positions, participating in their response to relevant federal and cantonal consultations.
- Lead global and J&J enterprise-wide topics, initiatives and activities where Switzerland plays a key role.
The Senior Director represents Johnson & Johnson in the political and policy arena in Switzerland on federal and, to a lesser degree, on cantonal level. You will build collaborative and interactive relationships with key elected political leaders from the full scope of political parties and with government departments and agencies, industry and trade associations, as well as medical and patient advocacy groups.
Additionally, you will develop effective relationships with J&J's business leadership at the local, regional and global level. This role will interact with colleagues and leaders across other functional areas, including sales and marketing, communications, health economics, market access and regulatory and others.
- A university degree in a related field is required
- 10+ years of government/policymaking experience is required. Respective experience in Switzerland.
- Highly committed, has a strong work ethic and leads by example. Must be a seasoned executive who functions effectively in a political and policymaking environment.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple projects and relationships at senior levels, both externally and internally.
- Outstanding conversational, presentation, negotiation and written communication skills with some working experience in an international environment.
- Self-motivated and passionate about building relationships and delivering quality results across the organization.
- A consummate team player with the ability to collaborate effectively across all levels, including the willingness to engage deep technical expertise that exists within the organization.
- A creative problem solver, with the flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities.
- Impeccable integrity and low ego, with emotional maturity and patience.
- English, German and French language fluency is required with Italian being advantageous
Europe/Middle East/Africa-Switzerland, Europe/Middle East/Africa-Switzerland-Zug-Zug, Europe/Middle East/Africa-Switzerland-Berne-Bern
Synthes GmbH (7111)