Johnson & Johnson Careers
EMEA Therapeutic Area Communication & Public Affairs Manager
Requisition ID: 1805652745W
‘Caring for the world, one person at a time’... inspires and unites the people of Johnson & Johnson. We embrace research and science - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
The EMEA Therapeutic Area Communication & Public Affairs
Manager is responsible for the development, implementation and execution both
at EMEA and OpCo level of CPA strategic and tactical plans for a specific
number of therapeutic areas that are:
- aligned with the recently implemented EMEA brand archetyping project and with the global product and TA positioning and strategies as defined by the global Therapeutic Area Communication Leaders (TACLs) and adapted to the specific regional needs and business priorities as defined by the Regional Commercial Strategic Leaders (RCSL’s) and the Integrated Brand Value Teams (IBVT’s).
- integrating both internal & external communications to a broad range of relevant stakeholders, using multiple and innovative communication channels.
- easily adapted and implementable by the local Operating Companies to optimally support the business objectives of Janssen therapeutic areas in the EMEA region, consistent with the Enterprise reputation objectives and Credo values.
The role supports the Janssen
EMEA region and Operating Companies in the delivery of Janssen’s objectives and
priorities in the region.
- advising, inspiring and guiding the local Operating Companies’ communication teams and local TA/product country value team (CVT) leaders in the appropriate implementation of local TA and brand communication strategies.
- developing a high-performing and motivated regional OpCo Therapeutic Area communication network that delivers for the Enterprise and our Janssen TA business priorities.
RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPAL DUTIES Advise regional TA business leaders to engage in CPA strategies and plans that drive business and Enterprise growth, build, develop, enhance and protect Janssen’s reputation.
Develop strong relationship with key TA specific internal & external networks to gain deep insights and knowledge about specific TA/product environment, including the competitive environment, opportunities and possible threats or weakness, drive key business and reputation outcomes and shape the environment for the company’s medicines and solutions
- Work with the EMEA TA team to provide CPA support for the TA´s and products and work in synergy to maintain, further build and strengthen the reputation of Janssen across the TA´s.
- Develop and strengthen relationships with and serve as trusted communication advisor to the TA regional Integrated Brand Value Team (IBVT); serve as Communication voice with leadership on business decisions and critical issues/crises
- Actively contribute to annual regional business planning & brand value plan updates and lead the development of related CPA plans
- Implement and share metrics in a consistent manner
- Implement regular TA- and product-specific trainings of internal and KOL spokespeople to develop their ability to effectively engage with external customers and employees
- Promote the visibility of Janssen TA senior leaders by identifying opportunities for participating in high profile external and internal events
- As a member of the IBVT representing the CPA function, propose, define and manage the optimal and most appropriate/realistic PR budget needed to optimally support the success of the brand or TA and build on the reputation of the company.
Drive Enterprise and business unit growth and build stakeholder trust/advocacy
- Develop and implement strategic, state-of-the-art communication plans for a select number of TAs and products aligning with a changing business environment and product prioritization using the Brand Archetyping Model, in collaboration with the IBVT, the local Operating Companies and aligned with GCPA goals and strategies
- Actively lead with credibility and commitment towards building strong internal and external stakeholder relationships to achieve key outcomes for the business and the enterprise reputation.
- Ensure regional public relations plans leverage approaches developed globally or for other markets. Encourage internal and external best practice sharing and foster regional uptake of successful local CPA activities. Promote and contribute to the use of standardized tools, practices and metrics to build a world-class CPA function
- Continuously assess the needs and expectation of the regional strategic TA organization, global teams, Operating Companies and ensure TA Communication programs drive expected business outcomes with positive reputational impact
- Actively work with the stakeholder engagement /corporate communication team to improve synergies and alignment between external product/TA communications and internal employee engagement
- Maintain deep understanding of current issues in the environment affecting Enterprise, businesses and brands; develop public affairs capabilities and strategies in partnership with Public Affairs colleagues, the Patient Advocacy Engagement and Media Relations Centres of Excellence, Governmental Affairs & Health Policy Center to shape the external environment and build trust in the company
- Act as One Team in developing relationships with top media, including key social media influencers, and building relationships with key third-party influencers and external constituencies
- In collaboration with the CoE for Patient Advocacy Engagement build a strong and trusted relationship and network of TA-related patient advocacy organisations and integrate patient voice and perspectives in key business decisions such as clinical trials and pricing models and in the development of major TA related CPA plans and activities.
- Take the lead in selecting, briefing and effectively managing public relations and other agencies or external consultants
- Oversee respective TA budgets with the highest
degree of fiscal prudence and responsibility
Maintain stakeholder trust through effective management of issues
- Ensure excellence in management of product issues that may impact stakeholder trust and company reputation
- Timely and pro-actively identify potential Enterprise, brand / franchise-related issues, manage appropriate internal escalation/information processes, provide strategic advice to the issue management team and develop issue management strategies, materials and processes and propose recovery strategies
- Partner closely with global Janssen communication, Media Relations, Corporate Communications, Workforce Communication, Strategy & Insights and other CoEs to ensure Enterprise alignment
Build a high-performing, continuously improving network of communicators that makes our Enterprise and the GCPA function stronger
- Facilitate sharing of best practices, common processes, procedures and consistency among the local Operating Company communication teams
- Create internal EMEA networks of product/TA CVTLs and OpCo product communication teams to foster local uptake of and engagement in EMEA or global communications strategies and tactics and to better understand local needs
- Provide strategic advice to local Operating Company communicators on specific TA/product related communication challenges or opportunities
- Actively participate, support and engage in the overall cross-product /TA team initiatives (metrics, CPA planning consolidation, leadership involvement)
- Promote Our Credo and our Leadership Imperatives
- Model and lead with a One Team mindset to unify, collaborate and drive for best Enterprise outcomes; model collaboration across Communication teams in other sectors in or outside the region with a special focus on R&D/pipeline communications, governmental affairs and health policy centre
- Model and inspire a continuous improvement mindset to ensure function stays on the leading edge of communications, change management, technology, social media and other key trends
- Serve on Janssen EMEA Therapeutic Area Communication & Public Affairs team
- Serve on specific TA and product IBVT’s
- Participate in TA global communication networks
Experience and functional competencies:
- Proven performer with 6+ years of experience managing both internal & external communication in a company, NGO, government agency or public relations agency with proven experience in healthcare sector related public relations/public affairs/communications
- Understanding of pharmaceutical R&D, regulatory processes and healthcare compliance regulations
- Significant communication experience at either local (country) and /or regional level
- Ability to influence, lead, motivate others without having line authority
- Ability to build deep, authentic relationships and strong influence with senior internal and external stakeholders
- Good negotiation skills and sense of consensus
- Broad experience in healthcare sector crisis/issues management
- Broad experience dealing with national, local and international lay, professional/trade and social media
- Good and personal practice of digital and social platforms
- Strategic thinking, analytical ability and good sense of execution
- Experience in managing budgets and resource allocation across large critical projects
- Exercise a high level of independent judgment even in challenging, complex situations
- Good ability for decision-making, problem solving and independent judgment
- Fluent in English (speaking and writing). (Passive understanding of) 2 other European languages is a plus.
- Excellent writing skills.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Live Our Credo – Serves as a role model for making Credo-based decisions; supports and influences creation for a trusting, collaborative and ethical work environment; maintains higest standards of ethics, quality, compliance and accountability
- Connect – Cultivates meaningful external relationships and partnerships outside of J&J, adding value and insights for the enterprise; insight-driven to proactively uncover critical unmet needs and turn them into new opportunities. Forges internal collaboration across the enterprise.
- Shape – Translates insights into innovative and viable products or solutions, creating value; challenges the status quo and leads change management activities, creating positive change; takes and properly manages risks, while maintaining the highest standards of quality and compliance, contributing to value creation
- Lead - Takes ownership for talent acquisition, performance and development in a way that enhances the performance and development of self and others; maximizes and leverages diverse perspectives, backgrounds and talent to generate innovative ideas or solutions to address organizational challenges; engages in and encourages others to have transparent and constructive conversations, contributing to a high-performing organization
- Deliver - empowers people to act with speed, agility, and accountability, enabling them to achieve organizational goals and strategies; makes decisions and takes actions based on a global and enterprise-wide mindset that adds value across the enterprise; balances short- and long-term strategic choices, positions the organization to achieve both short-term and expected future results
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)