Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientist Small Molecule Protein Sciences
Requisition ID: 1805648273W
Position Title: Scientist, Protein Science
Janssen Research and Development, a member of Johnson and Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting a Scientist for the Department of Small Molecule Protein Sciences, who will be based in Beerse, Belgium.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D and is committed to the delivery of high quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small molecule clinical compounds in all five Janssen Therapeutic Area discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular pharmacology, screening and protein science coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The Protein Science department within Lead Discovery is responsible for the delivery of high quality proteins to enable assay development, HTS, pharmacological profiling and structural biology (X-ray crystallography and NMR). The global Small Molecule Protein Sciences team, based in Spring House, PA, USA and in Beerse, Belgium, collaborates closely with Janssen therapeutic areas and functional teams and with external collaborators in academia and industry. We seek individuals with a strong ability to connect with key stake holders for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, and who show superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the timely delivery of high-quality reagents to collaborators in Discovery Sciences and Janssen Therapeutic Areas.
- Lead the design and implementation of protein production strategies that provide active proteins for use in assays and structural biology.
- Contribute to other activities including structural biology within the department
- Join drug discovery project teams as a representative and point of contact for all reagent-related needs.
- Have a strong preference for hands-on work in the laboratory
- Analyze, interpret, summarize and report experimental data.
- Attend and present at internal and external scientific meetings as appropriate.
- Work independently with limited supervision
- Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
- Participate in external collaborations as needed.
- Publish research in high-quality journals as appropriate.
- PhD and postdoctoral experience in Biochemistry, Biophysics and/or Structural Biology is required.
- Expertise in protein construct design is required.
- Expertise in the recombinant expression of proteins in various heterologous systems (E. coli bacteria, baculovirus/insect cells, mammalian cell lines, yeast cells, cell-free systems and alternate expression systems) is strongly preferred
- Expertise in the purification of soluble proteins using different chromatographic techniques (affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic interaction, size exclusion etc) is required.
- Expertise in protein characterization using techniques such as electrophoresis, analytical gel filtration, mass spectrometry, dynamic light scattering is preferred.
- Expertise in automation for protein expression and/or purification is preferred.
- Experience in X-ray crystallography and cryo-EM is an asset.
- Experience working with and guiding external collaborators in industry or academia is required.
- Expertise in biophysics and/or enzymology is an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Expertise in cardiovascular, immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is desired.
- Publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals are preferred.
- Up to 10% of travel may be required.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)