Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff Engineer, New Product Development
Requisition ID: 1718180911
DePuy Synthes Joints, Inc a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Special Services Staff Product Development Engineer to be located in Warsaw, IN.
DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Staff Product Development Engineer with Special Services will be responsible for:
- Design and develop Compassionate Use implants, Made-to-Order instrumentation and procedural solutions pertaining to Special Services.
- This includes communication with surgeons and sales consultants, understanding of clinical issues, defining the design parameters, and ensuring the correct product is provided to the customer.
- The design and development aspects of complex systems and projects, technically leading cross-functional project teams through all phases of the product development process, and will often organize, plan, execute and oversee projects through completion.
- The candidate will act as a technical team leader and in some cases project leader as a member of a cross-functional project core team (marketing, manufacturing, quality, testing, supply chain etc.).
- The candidate will be responsible to work with surgeons, marketing and sales to define and refine design inputs, generate design concepts and prototypes independently, perform meaningful and timely design evaluations (such as tolerance analysis, FEA, simulated use testing, dry labs and wet tissue labs etc.), and oversee generation of documentation of clinical and surgical technique observations to create meaningful design solutions.
- The candidate will also be responsible for development and execution of design verification and validation plans and activities, and test plan formation and execution to support US regulatory strategy.
- The Staff Product Development Engineer will serve as mentor to entry level engineers and will oversee manufacturing engineering and/or suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability and assembly to produce functioning prototypes and supporting production documentation.
- The candidate must demonstrate strong proficiency in the application of design controls and development processes and will be responsible for all of the designs from concept development through product launch.
- This position requires a working knowledge of LEAN, Six-Sigma, Green/Black Belt methodologies and an ability to assess processes. This will require a strong ability to lead in continual streamline activities for the team to drive continued reduction in timelines.
- This individual should possess strong organizational skills to support all aspects of the project management functions including scope definition, along with contingency planning.
- The candidate must have a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload, exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills, and interface effectively with peers, cross functional project teams, management, sales and surgeons.
- The candidate must also have strong track record of ability to Independently make decisions within established guidelines and procedures. My make decisions outside normal processes. Decisions made may result in significant impact on Special Services projects & timelines, and impact business and customer relationships.
- The individual will also be expected to have an expert knowledge of our product lines and detailed knowledge of various orthopedic pathologies, providing ongoing product support to the field and will be an active participant the future of the department.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required.
- A Master’s Degree is desired.
- A minimum of six years of professional experience new product development experience or equivalent is required. [Experience with Specialty Products is a plus]
- Experience with medical devices new product development is highly preferred.
- Prior experience coaching and mentoring other engineers or project core team members is required.
- Experience in identifying user needs (VOC), material selection, ability to verify and validate design concepts, and understand design failure modes is required.
- Strong track record utilizing computer aided design (CAD) to develop a product is a must. Experience with Unigraphics NX would be preferred.
- Working knowledge of Design Controls, Quality Systems, Non-conformances, CAPA’s & Post Market Surveillance required.
- Demonstrated understanding of various types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards, and GD&T are required.
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project etc.) is required.
- Experience with FDA Medical Device guidelines is preferred.
- The candidate must have a demonstrated background in developing creative solutions to solve design problems.
- Experience in cross functional alignment and successful implementation of procedures and work instructions through individual authorship is preferred.
- Must demonstrate a strong initiative and follow through in executing project responsibilities, overcoming obstacles and balancing multiple priorities effectively through strong technical and/or project leadership experience.
- A successful track record of leading and influencing others without authority, participating on cross-functional teams and solid negotiating skills to bring products from concept to completion is required.
- A demonstrated ability to look beyond conventional solutions and familiarity with technologies extending beyond traditional orthopedic treatments and products is desired.
- Experience with developing sterile products is preferred.
- Interaction with industrial designers previously is desired.
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, customers and/ or teams is required.
- Ability to work effectively as a technical leader and often as a project leader is required.
- The ability to review and critically assess patents and other forms of intellectual property is preferred.
- This position is based in Warsaw, IN and may require occasional travel.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)