Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientist, located in La Jolla, CA.
At Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
The Immunology Translational Science Biomarkers team at Janssen R&D in La Jolla, California is seeking a highly motivated Scientist with an extensive background in applications of next generation sequencing technologies for transcriptomic and genomic molecular profiling analysis. The successful candidate will be a primary operator and key expert on sequencing for research programs at the site and will have responsibility for sample preparation and analysis, maintenance and optimization of the platform, review of data quality, and training/education of colleagues. Experience with automation platforms for improving throughput and turn-around times for library preps and other aspects of NGS workflow is required.
The candidate should have a general understanding of translational biomarker applications and molecular immunological pathways that drive autoimmune diseases. The Scientist will join the Translational Science Biomarkers team to help develop novel therapeutics for the treatment of autoimmune diseases and will interact with cross-functional teams and contribute to impactful data generation and drive applications of NGS technology to support research goals.
- Designing and conducting sequencing analysis (RNA-seq, single cell RNA-seq, exome and targeted DNA sequencing, etc) utilizing state-of-the-art sequencing platform (e.g., Illumina) to support translational biomarker research, target and pathway profiling, and disease understanding.
- Performing all steps of NGS workflow as needed, potentially from nucleic acid extraction through library preparation and sequencing procedures and data acquisitions.
- Implementing, optimizing, and maintaining automation/liquid handling instrumentation designed to improve NGS workflows by minimizing hands-on time and increasing efficiency/speed of sample processing
- Assessing quality of sequencing data via establishing data pipeline
- Educating colleagues on NGS technologies and data formats, and training other lab staff as needed on hands-on aspects
- Provide guidance on the merits of new technologies and help prioritize which new methodologies to implement
- Master’s degree with at least 3-4 years of experience, or Ph.D. degree with at least 2 year of experience in genomics technologies including next-generation sequencing with Illumina technology preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree with 5 or more years of in-depth experience may be considered; familiarity with drug discovery and translational research would be useful
Experience and Skills:
- Experience across all stages of sequencing workflows, preferably with RNA-seq applications as a major focus area
- Experience with the operation, troubleshooting, optimization, and maintenance of robotics systems for the automation of NGS workflows
- Knowledge of various chemistries and methods for library preparations, and proficiency in recommending which products may be optimal for specific applications of interest
- In-depth understanding of data processing pipelines for NGS data as well as familiarity with downstream data analysis and data quality metrics
- Familiarity with other bioinformatics applications would be a plus
- Experience with some of the following molecular biology techniques/platforms would be helpful: DNA/RNA/protein extraction, qPCR, NanoString, and ELISA/MSD/Luminex immunoassays
- Familiarity with inflammation or immunology research desirable
Travel requirement <10% annually
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)