Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer, Product Development (Spine)
Requisition ID: 1661180910
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is seeking a Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer, Product Development (Spine) based in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer will work in product development and will develop ideas and concepts for implant and instrument systems utilizing CAD models, prints, and available technologies and own these designs through commercialization. He/she will be responsible for preparing design proposals, surgical technique storyboards, and CAD layouts for concept evaluation.
These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the design of medical device products from concept through development, testing, and manufacturing scale-up.
- Interacts with surgeon customers - focusing on user-centric design and critical user needs/inputs.
- Crafts solid models, drawings, tolerance analyses, and other supporting product documentation.
- Supports the production of prototypes with internal and external resources and supports design evaluations to meet project goals.
- Participates in conceptual phase of new product development in conjunction with Product Development Engineering.
- Supports the resolution of difficult engineering and manufacturing problems utilizing advanced CAD techniques, rapid and conventional prototyping, and other available technologies.
- Solves design problems utilizing GD&T for engineering/design information and project documentation.
- Supports translation, transfer, and data verification of CAD data to and from outside vendors (i.e. prints) and works with Manufacturing Engineering to establish methods of producing product (i.e. design for manufacturing and assembly).
- Collaborate with other DePuy Synthes colleagues worldwide to develop tools and materials in support of launches.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required; a degree focused on Mechanical or Engineering Technology is preferred.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in R&D, Engineering, New Product Development or related area is required.
- Experience utilizing computer aided design (CAD) to develop product is required.
- Experience with Quality System Requirements and/or Medical Device Directive for medical devices is preferred.
- Regulated industry experience is preferred.
- Experience with performing design trade-offs for functionality, form factor, cost, schedule and/or risk preferred.
- Experience with Unigraphics NX or ProE/Creo preferred.
- Proven understanding of different types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards (ANSI and ISO), and GD&T is required.
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc) required.
- Proven customer facing experience, as well as developing and leveraging customer insights is preferred.
- Experience developing creative solutions to solve design problems is required.
- Strong communication skills are required; the ability to effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, customers and/or teams, and work effectively within a multi-functional team environment.
- The ability to review and critically assess patents and other forms of intellectual property is preferred.
- The ability to work within a cadaver lab and operating room setting is required.
- This position is based in Raynham, MA and may require up to 10% travel including domestic and international.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)