Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Contract Manager – Research & Academic Partnerships
Spring House, Pennsylvania; New Jersey, United States; Pennsylvania, United States; Raritan, New Jersey; Titusville, New Jersey
Requisition ID: 1568190409
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is currently recruiting for a Senior Contract Manager – Research & Academic Partnerships position. This position will be located in either Spring House, PA (preferred), Raritan, NJ or Titusville, NJ.
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C. develops treatments that improve the health and lifestyles of people worldwide. Research and development areas encompass novel targets in neurologic disorders, gastroenterology, oncology, infectious disease, diabetes, hematology, metabolic disorders, immunologic disorders, and reproductive medicine.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a pharmaceutical company of Johnson & Johnson, provides medicines for an array of health concerns in several therapeutic areas, including: attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), cardiovascular disease, general medicine (acid reflux disease, infectious diseases), autoimmune and immunologic based disorders and diseases, mental health (bipolar I disorder, schizophrenia, depression), neurologic (Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy, migraine prevention and treatment), oncology, pain management, and women’s health. Our ultimate goal is to help people live healthy lives. We have produced and marketed many first-in-class prescription medications and are poised to serve the broad needs of the healthcare market – from patients to practitioners, from clinics to hospitals. For more about Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., one of the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, visit www.janssenpharmaceuticalsinc.com.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
The Senior Contract Manager – Research & Academic Partnerships will negotiate, contract and maintain relationships with academic and non-profit partners in the exploratory research space and interact extensively with JRD internal business partners to meet JRD’s needs, all in line with Johnson & Johnson (J&J) Credo, Purchasing Ethics and Healthcare Compliance Guidelines.
- Support research activities while driving the end to end negotiation and contracting process with academic and non-profit research partners through negotiation of contract terms including intellectual property and use rights and pricing.
- Observe compliance to internal and external guidelines on Procurement Practices, and ethical requirements like Health Care Compliance, working with human biologic materials and data and working with laboratory animals.
- Develop interdependent partnerships with other procurement groups as required. Together with the internal business partners, the Senior Contract Manager - Research & Academic Partnerships will work with the internal business partners to identify, select and manage academic and non-profit research partners, and demonstrate value contribution through negotiated contractual terms, driving compliance, optimized cycle times and where possible, savings.
- Work with J&J Legal and IP Counsel as necessary to review contract terms and conditions and advise business partners to reach acceptable outcomes.
- Lead/conduct contract negotiations of terms and conditions of complex and potentially long-term agreements and escalate specific points of contention on legal and business issues to appropriate internal stakeholders, including management.
- Look for creative ways to avoid/solve problems and to manage the relationships with academic and non-profit research partners and not compromise any on-going study or study-related activities.
- Manage deliverables and escalate to appropriate stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Influence business partners to follow procurement policies; facilitate prioritization of negotiations with business partners and procurement.
- Exercise a high level of independence providing solutions for complex contracting issues.
- Manage direct report(s) and support and develop talent to enhance the team’s effectiveness.
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree or equivalent in legal, life sciences or business is required and an advanced degree such as JD, MBA or PhD is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in a law firm, pharmaceutical/biotech industry, or university technology transfer (legal) office is required.
- Strong proficiency in negotiating contracts as a user or provider of outsourced research activities (preferably with academic and non-profit research institutes) is a must.
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical R&D processes is highly desirable.
- Strongly pro-active, an excellent team player and able to interact with all levels of an organization.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and able to effectively manage and identify workable solutions during challenging or contentious negotiations.
- Demonstrated skills in developing strong business relationships with business partners and external partners and have a successful track record of interdependent partnerships with internal stakeholder groups.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic environment and be able to prioritize and respond to changing needs of the business.
- Well organized, detail-oriented, customer focused, and capable of managing multiple projects, including the work load of team members and effectively delegating as required.
- Strong project management skills required with a focus on meeting team and individual objectives and deliverables.
- Able to work effectively in a matrix environment while supporting specific teams and/or projects.
- At least 3 years of successful experience managing direct reports and be committed to talent development.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office – specifically Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
North America-United States-New Jersey, North America-United States-Pennsylvania, North America-United States-New Jersey-Raritan, North America-United States-New Jersey-Titusville
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)