Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Scientific Director - Discovery Chemistry, Discovery, Product Development & Supply
Requisition ID: 1352180905
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The newly formed Discovery, Product Development, & Supply group is committed to the delivery of high quality drug candidates working with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA). This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including synthetic and medicinal chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as Senior Scientific Director, Discovery Chemistry. This position will be based at our drug discovery site in San Francisco, CA.
The Senior Scientific Director, Discovery Chemistry, will lead a team of medicinal chemists based at our South San Francisco Site. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Small molecule clinical candidate discovery and optimization within Discovery Sciences, working closely with both internal and external partners in functional areas including biology, pharmacology, ADME, toxicology, formulations, and pharmaceutical development.
- Working closely with the Discovery Sciences leadership team to influence the strategic direction for the global medicinal chemistry organization.
- Interacting closely with the J&J Innovation Centers to provide appropriate insights and expert diligence on promising opportunities in the external innovation environment.
- Providing cross-therapeutic area leadership for continued innovation in areas such as novel small molecule lead optimization strategies, target selection, hit & lead selection, and polypharmacology.
- actively recruiting, mentoring, and developing outstanding drug discovery scientists and creating a culture of engagement, scientific rigor, and innovation.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in synthetic organic chemistry or closely related field is required.
- Relevant post-doctoral experience obtained at an outstanding academic institution or laboratory
- A minimum of 15 years of medicinal chemistry experience with a strong record of individual and team-level contributions to the discovery and development of multiple novel small molecule clinical compounds and/or approved drugs is required.
- A demonstrated record of delivering novel agents to clinical development required.
- Recognized international scientific expert in medicinal and synthetic organic chemistry supported with an outstanding record of high impact publications, oral presentations, and review articles is required.
- Broad experience in the assessment of molecules identified from divergent small molecule screening campaigns with an ability to design and oversee execution of rational triage strategies to deliver tractable chemical leads to discovery teams is required.
- Experience in overseeing and directing the day to day scientific activities of peers and junior staff, both internally and at CROs is required.
- The capability to manage budgets and prioritize competing portfolio demands is required.
- Experience as a successful therapeutic program team (co)leader is preferred.
- Substantial drug discovery experience in Oncology, Inflammation, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular, or Infectious Diseases is preferred.
- Strong networking skills with a desire to seek out novel opportunities and options for small molecule drug discovery is required.
- Experience in managing ‘virtual’ and/or remote scientific team(s) based in China, India, Russia etc. is preferred.
- A desire to help enhance the profile of Discovery Sciences in the external scientific community as a partner of choice is preferred.
- An ability to provide chemistry drug discovery insights and objective assessment(s) to various stakeholders including colleagues in Discovery Sciences, the J&J Innovation Centers, and across multiple Therapeutic Areas.
- An unparalleled ability to interact collegially with biology leaders and their discovery teams to set the strategic direction for TA portfolios to drive early discovery programs to critical decision points.
- A record of success in partnering effectively with multiple, diverse types of research organizations, including academic institutions, contract research organizations, and public-private consortia.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco
Alios BioPharma, Inc. (6224)