Johnson & Johnson Careers
New Product Development Process Engineer (1 of 2)
Requisition ID: 1201190403
Biosense Webster, a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is seeking a New Product Development Process Engineer in Irwindale, CA.
Atrial fibrillation (AFIB) is a quivering or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia) that can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. 20 million people around the world suffer from AFIB each year.
Biosense Webster, Inc. is the global leader in the science of diagnosing and treating heart rhythm disorders. The company established its leadership in electrophysiology with the development of the first real-time, 3D cardiac mapping and navigation technology, as well as the first electrophysiology catheter. The introduction of the company’s CARTO® 3 System in 2009 revolutionized 3D mapping technology by increasing the accuracy, speed, and efficiency of the cardiac ablation procedure.
The New Product Development (NPD) Process Engineer works on most assignments with instructions about the general results expected. May receive technical guidance on the most unusual or complex problems, but independently determines and develops approaches to solutions. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Makes an effort to analyze and solve areas that would reduce the cost of the product for financial benefits through materials and techniques of engineering. Exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Erroneous decisions or recommendations or failure to get results would normally result in serious program/project delay and considerable expenditure or resources.
Under (e.g. limited supervision, general direction, etc.) and in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws/regulations and Corporate Johnson & Johnson, procedures and guidelines, this position:
• Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields.
• Responsible for the cost reductions efforts of all products, materials, and techniques using engineering principles and financial impacts.
• Makes decisions independently on engineering problems and methods and represents the organization in conferences to resolve meaningful questions and to plan and coordinate work.
• Requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts and practices of his/her field and related sciences and disciplines.
• Requires financial background around manufacturing practices which include Cost of Goods theory, overhead rates, labor rates, compounded annual growth rate, etc.
• Supervision and guidance related largely to overall requirements, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters.
• Consults with supervisor concerning unusual problems and developments.
Responsible for one or more of the following:
• In a supervisory capacity, plans, develops, coordinates, and directs a large important engineering project or a number of small projects with many complex features.
• As an individual researcher, carries out complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques or procedures.
• Work is expected to result in the development of new or refined equipment, materials, processes, products, and/or methods.
• As a staff specialist, you develop and evaluate plans, specifications and criteria for a variety of projects and activities to be carried out by others.
• Assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products or equipment when necessary data are insufficient or confirmation by testing is advisable.
• Performs as a consultant on a technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program function.
• May technically supervise, coordinate and review the work of a small staff of engineers and technicians, estimates resource needs and schedules and assigns work to meet completion date, or, as individual researcher or staff specialist may be assisted on projects by other engineers or technicians.
• Practices company safety and quality policies and procedures. Actively requires conformance.
• Responsible for the purchase or design of equipment that meets safety, health and environmental standards set by the company.
• Responsible for performing design reviews and pre-validation assessments to ensure the safe and environmentally sound start-up of new processes.
• Responsible for communicating business related issues or opportunities to next management level.
• Responsible for ensuring subordinates follow all Company guidelines related to Health, Safety and Environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition.
• Responsible for ensuring personal and Company compliance with all Federal, State, local and Company regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Performs other duties assigned as needed.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
a) Will be required to work in a clean-room environment and will need to wear special garments.
b) The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Enforce to company safety rules and practices.
• Be proactive in ensuring safety in work area.
• Immediately report incidents or unsafe conditions.
• Know emergency procedures.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, biomedical, electrical or related field required
• Advanced Degree preferred
• 6 years of related engineering experience required
• Has significant complex level engineering experience required.
• Experience in design for manufacturability required.
• Demonstrated team leadership influencing & facilitation skills required.
• Must possess a clear mastery of theoretical and practical fundamentals and experimental engineering techniques required.
• Knowledge of drafting software systems such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks is required.
• Strong English communication skills, written and oral required.
• Financial background experience in the field of Operations would be preferred
• Experience in the medical device industry preferred.
• Experience in automation and automatic processes preferred.
• Ability to present presentations to upper management preferred.
• Knowledge of statistical software packages such as Minitab a plus.
• Project Management skills a plus.
• Process Excellence tools such as Lean and Six Sigma certification a plus.
• Business/financial acumen
• An estimate of travel up to 15-20% may be required.
Biosense Webster Inc. (6010)