Johnson & Johnson Careers
R&D Test Engineer
Requisition ID: 1022180830
Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson’s family of companies, is recruiting for an R&D Engineer, located in Somerville, NJ.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, energy devices, clip appliers, and trocars - that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures.
Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, oncology, and obesity. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was built more than 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing creative devices that have driven the groundbreaking shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
• Self-directed work with project teams to provide characterization strategies aimed at supporting discovery efforts, new product development, regulatory submissions and post launch activities.
• Develop test protocols, carry out lab experiments, analyze test results (statistically if needed) and prepare technical completion reports.
• Design fixtures and innovative test methods to measure the physical performance of medical devices such as wound closure devices, breast implants and biosurgicals.
• Collaborate effectively with various project team members such as preclinical/clinical affairs, quality engineering, operations, regulatory affairs, marketing, etc.
• May have to transfer test methods to various Ethicon plants or external suppliers.
• Identify and procure new test equipment and perform validation activities such as installation qualification, performance qualification and computer software validation.
- Degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field is required
- 2+ years of relevant experience is required
- Familiarity with computer-controlled materials testing equipment desirable such as Instron or equivalent is required
- Ability to independently develop test strategies and provide technical guidance to the team to influence product design is required
- Competency working/testing in a regulated medical device environment (cGMP) and able to interact with internal and external auditors is required
- Being willing to work in a laboratory environment performing hands-on experiments and be able to clearly communicate findings (oral or written) to the project team is required
- Knowledge of design control/regulations for medical devices and/or combination products (510k or PMA products) is required
- Knowledge of biology, gross anatomy and native tissue properties is preferred
- Strong collaboration, teaming and influencing skills are preferred
- Strong investigation skills required for testing failures and root cause analysis are preferred
- This position is located in Somerville, NJ and may require up to 5% travel, including potential domestic and international travel.
you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is
career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-New Jersey-Somerville
Ethicon Inc. (6045)
R&D Engineering (R&D)