Johnson & Johnson Careers
SR DIRECTOR RD STRATEGY AND OPERATIONS
Requisition ID: 0944190731
Senior Director, R&D Strategy and Operations
The Senior Director, R&D Strategy and Operations will serve as a key advisor to the Global Head, Janssen R&D (JRD) Strategy & Operations and will serve as a key partner for the overall strategic and operational responsibility for the R&D SLT and overall JRD strategy and operations. JRD is an organization of 11,000+ people with an operating budget of $7B, which includes JRD Therapeutic Areas (Cardiovascular/ Metabolism, Immunology, Infectious Diseases/ Vaccines, Neuroscience, Oncology, Pulmonary Hypertension) and JRD Global Functions.
This position leads the JRD Strategy and Operations team members to enable excellence within JRD operations by transforming operational data into business insights, maximizing synergies across JRD TAs/Functions and be ensuring coordination of key events across TAs and functions.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Global Head, Janssen R&D Strategy & Operations and the R&D Strategy and Operations team to develop and deliver the long term Pharm R&D strategy, expertly partner to implement key strategic initiatives across the R&D organization.
- Demonstrate strong leadership by working independently through the matrix to deliver on the Strategy and Operations team priorities as well as potentially managing direct reports. Be a key sounding board for the Global Head, Janssen R&D Strategy & Operations.
- Lead and oversee execution of key operations including SLT activities (retreats, meetings, off-sites), Senior Strategy & Operations activities, Leaders Meetings, scientific forums (e.g. Global Scientific Symposium, Global Scientific Forum), and other events as they arise.
- Lead JRD’s strategic agenda (on behalf of the Global Head) at the GOC including planning agendas, annual TA reviews, and monthly portfolio updates – working closely with the GCSO organization. Ensure JRD’s strategic and operational agenda is appropriately shared at the GOC and support the operations of managing the GOC updates on behalf of JRD.
- Ensure clear and consistent communication of the Janssen R&D strategy to multiple Janssen and J&J organizations and committees, ensure alignment with Janssen One and the Enterprise Strategy. Integrate input from functions in Janssen and J&J outside of R&D: Innovation Centers, GCSO, Global Clinical Development Operations, PMO, Finance and others. Consolidate input from across the therapeutic areas and functional areas to ensure that all views are represented.
- Gain and incorporate deep external insights on the long-term view of healthcare and the pharmaceutical industry. Expertly manage and interact with external entities such as management consulting firms and subject matter experts.
- Develop, coach and engages direct reports, and build a diverse bench strength for the future.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- PhD/MD/PharmD or equivalent doctoral degree required
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the pharmaceutical R&D environment, or similar
- Experience leading change initiatives in an R&D organization(s)
- Significant experience leading multi-disciplinary teams in the analysis and synthesis of complex data towards the goal of building and executing on key strategies
- Strong knowledge of the drug discovery and development process
- Demonstrated ability to lead others through direct reporting and/or matrix to deliver outstanding results
- Ability to translate data into information and strategies into executable action plans
- Travel requirement of 25% domestic and global
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)