Johnson & Johnson Careers
PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE CONTROLS ENGINEER, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 0624190329
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Software and Controls Engineer, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Principal Software and Controls Engineer will work with internal and external teams to develop, implement, and test control algorithms and control software for robotic surgical instruments. The Principal Software and Controls Engineer will also drive the implementation of an optimal organizational structure, along with corresponding processes and infrastructure required for software and controls development in partnership with a team leader.
- Develop, implement, optimize, and test kinematic & dynamic models, control algorithms, and controls software
- Act as the technical leader that shapes and builds-out people, processes and infrastructure to increase software and controls development capabilities from front-end through product launch, while providing technical guidance to team members
- Recruit, train, and provide technical mentoring to software and controls engineers
- Partner with software development teams across Ethicon and Verb Surgical on software development and documentation (e.g. software design specifications, software requirements, software test protocols)
- Conduct and/or participate in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, software, and designs for instruments, systems, and interfaces
- Identify and implement expansions to Ethicon's software, hardware, controls and simulations capabilities
- Design test procedures, lead tests, analyze results, and develop written reports
A BS in computer science, electrical engineering, or other related fields is required
A MS or PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, or other related fields is strongly preferred
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 10 years of related work experience is required
- Experience in medical device industry or other regulated industry is preferred
- A strong background in math & physics is required
- A deep understanding of kinematics, dynamics, controls & motion planning, and simulations is required
- Experience with a variety of programming languages and applications (e.g. MATLAB, Simulink, C++, Python) is required
- Experience with real-time software and sockets programming is required
- Experience with a variety of operating systems (e.g. QNX, Linux) is required
- Hardware / software integration experience and experience diagnosing engineering design issues, including gathering and interpreting test data is required
- Experience with distributed version control systems (e.g. Git, Subversion), code repositories and code reviews is preferred
- Experience developing software unit tests using Python, C++ and Google Test or any other unit test framework is preferred
- Excellent technical writing and oral communication skills is required
- Experience with direct or indirect leadership of technical personnel is preferred
- Experience developing software for safety critical systems is preferred
- Familiarity with regulations surrounding software design control for medical devices, including IEC 62304, ISO 13485 and 21 CFR 820 is preferred
- Capable of effectively leading multiple parallel projects in a diverse team environment is required
- This position is based in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 20% travel domestically and internationally.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)