Johnson & Johnson Careers
Primary R&D Designer (New Product Development/Sustaining) (1 of 2)
Requisition ID: 0558190726
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Primary R&D Designer (New Product Development/Sustaining) to be located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development/Lifecycle pipelines and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Designer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team-based environment. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market.
In this role you will:
- Assist in developing products from conceptual design through production. Design & develop mechanisms (cams, linkages, gear trains). Contribute to concept identification, selection & development.
- Create 3D solid models from dimensioned sketches. Create detail drawings, sub-assemblies & layouts from sketches or markups.
- Apply principles to plastic component design (draft, core & cavity) & metallic component design (stampings, wire EDM). Utilize DFM/A (design for manufacturing & assembly) principles in product design. Apply principles of mold design to device component designs (parting line, shutoffs, gates). Apply knowledge of precision metallic design to device component designs (progressive die, laser, wire EDM, stamping).
- Use electronic data management system for CAD file management.
- Apply GD&T principles to component drawings & design.
- Create, check, & document component tolerance analysis.
- Participate in design collaboration forums
- One of the following combinations of education and experience are required: Minimum of an Associate’s Degree, Technical drafting/design or Vocational certificate with 3 years of relevant Drafting/3D Modeling experience (co-op, internship included) OR a minimum of a H.S. Diploma with 5 years of relevant Drafting/3D Modeling experience.
- Experience working with CAD Modeling software is required. Experience working with Siemens NX or Solidworks is a plus.
- Experience in a GMP product development or engineering environment is preferred.
- Basic knowledge of design principles & techniques, DFMA, FMEA (failure mode evaluation & analysis) is preferred.
- Basic exposure to GD&T (geometric dimensioning & tolerance) for component drawings & design is highly preferred.
- Experience performing basic Tolerance Stack Ups is a plus.
- Mechanism design & development is preferred.
- Experience taking FDA regulated products from conceptual development into production is preferred.
- Proficient in standard drafting conventions required.
- Exposure to production & manufacturing operations is a plus.
- Precision metallic component design (progressive die, laser, wire EDM) is a plus.
- Able to apply plastic part design features (parting line, shutoffs, gating) is a plus.
- Breadboard & prototype technologies experience a plus.
- Team interaction skills required: will collaborate with engineering, marketing & industrial design
- Adaptable to shifting priorities; Able to handle rapid pace environment; Strong verbal & written communication skills; Focused, able to work with minimal supervision; Ability to organize & complete committed deliverables
- This position will be located in Cincinnati, OH.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)