Johnson & Johnson Careers
Primary R&D Design Engineer
Requisition ID: 0461190724
Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Primary R&D Design Engineer supporting the Energy franchise located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Design Engineer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team-based environment.
In this role you will:
- Apply knowledge of general engineering principles, materials, DFMA & reliability to achieve product design requirements.
- Work one-on-one with customer stakeholders to identify procedure and/or product opportunities and evaluate potential technical solutions.
- Interpret customer & marketing input to define technical design requirements.
- Maintain idea notebooks.
- Utilize QFD (quality function & deployment) JOC (jobs, outcomes & constraints), VOC (voice of customer) methodologies & surgical procedure knowledge to define product & design options.
- Provide innovative product, system & component design solutions.
- Perform detailed design analysis & provide input or approval for detailed design specifications.
- Establish appropriate testing strategy to insure adequate safety factors or margins.
- Perform product testing to insure adequate safety factors or margins.
- Formalize concepts, breadboards & prototyping. Provide support to patent attorneys for patent filing.
- Consult with materials technology group for biomaterial approvals.
- Assist in developing & monitoring project plan, budget, contingency plans & work estimation.
- Coordinate integration of complex sub-system product designs.
- Provide technical leadership to product development team.
- Learn medical terminology, procedures & instrumentation.
- Provide peer feedback & may mentor junior associates as required.
- Develop free-body diagrams, calculate stress & strain values, and formulate tolerance stack-ups.
- Develop error budget analyses of electromagnetic & electromechanical systems.
- Other responsibilities may be assigned & not all responsibilities listed may be assigned.
- A minimum of a B.S. Engineering degree (preferably Mechanical Engineering is required. A M.S. degree is a plus.
- A minimum 2 years of design-related experience, including co-op or college internships, required.
- Experience in medical device or regulated industry working in a team-based environment is preferred.
- Experience with CAD/CAM and design analysis software, and Statistical analysis techniques is required.
- Knowledge of general design engineering and DFMA principles, component manufacturing processes, tooling methodologies, and material properties required.
- Experience working with Vendors and Suppliers is preferred.
- Experience with technical writing as it relates to protocols, testing results, procedures, status & special reports preferred.
- Project management skills are a plus.
- Knowledge & understanding of medical regulations & their impact on business, ISO (International Organization for Standardization) & GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) is preferred.
- Information & risk analysis skills are preferred.
- Experience with Quality and statistical process controls are a plus.
- Knowledge of part manufacturing processes & tooling methodologies are a plus.
- Negotiating (e.g., internal & external customers), Networking, Able to adapt to shifting priorities, Able to handle rapid pace environment. Able to resolve problems / conflicts, Able to take initiative & be self-managing.
- Experience with the all of the following is highly preferred: General design engineering principles, Design of experiments (DOE), DFMA (design for manufacturing and assembly) principles, Patent interpretation, Mechanical testing): Free-body & stress-strain analysis & FEA (finite element analysis), Geometric tolerance & tolerance stack-up analysis (GD&T).
- Experience the following is a plus: gage repeatability & re-calibration system & methodology, Plastic resins, ferrous & nonferrous metals, adhesives & sealants.
- This position will be based in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 10% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)