Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. Engineer, R&D, Wound Closure & Repair Life-Cycle Management
Requisition ID: 0379180906
Johnson & Johnson companies are equal
Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Engineer, R&D, Ethicon Products Life-Cycle Management, to be located in Somerville, New Jersey.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies-including sutures, hemostasis products, surgical staplers, trocars, energy devices and synthetic mesh devices-that are used in a wide variety of open and minimally invasive surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of surgery.
The Senior Engineer will be responsible for management of Wound Closure & Repair portfolio in support of product life cycle management for these platforms. Functioning as an integral member of a development and life cycle management team, this role will be responsible for all activities related to product line extensions or existing product improvements, activities towards maintaining world-class products and ensuring product quality, cost & performance objectives are met. The Senior Engineer will be leading change control projects according to company change control procedures through cross function and global teams. This role will include developing designs and techniques to solve technical challenges or improve existing products or processes. This individual will be expected to complete assignments involving a specific phase of an engineering project which may include design, development, testing using appropriate statistical techniques and documentation. Other activities include leading projects, setting overall project objectives, planning schedules, defining direction & contributing in other functional areas as needed.
This position will require collaboration with external (e.g. clinicians) and internal customers (e.g. Marketing, Supply Chain) to refine needs and implement changes. Additionally, the Senior Engineer will cross-functionally collaborate within teams, such as Clinical, Regulatory, Quality, Manufacturing etc. to ensure development of innovative and reliable devices to fulfill clinical needs within regulatory requirements.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Polymer Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field is required
- A Master’s degree is preferred
- With an advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.), a minimum of three (3) years professional experience in an industrial environment as a technical contributor and/or technical leader is required
- With a BS degree, a minimum of five (5) years of experience in an industrial environment is required
- Project leader/ project management experience is preferred
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in applying engineering principles, analytical techniques and judgment to independently resolve major technical issues and establish new methods, controls & procedures is required
- Broad and working knowledge of polymeric materials is preferred
- Experience in handling and processing polymers is preferred
- Experience working with bio-absorbable polymers is preferred
- Familiarity with regulations and requirements for the development of implantable medical devices is highly preferred
- Experience in medical device design and development is strongly preferred
- Experience in leading of New Product Development projects and/or leading change control for existing products is required
- Knowledge of Design/Process Excellence (Six Sigma) is preferred
- A track record of leading cross functional teams, with a proven ability to work in a matrix environment, achieving successful support to cross-functional product and project management is required
- Experience in driving high performing cross-functional teams and indirect teams is required
- Strong partnering, influence management, and communication skills are required
- The proven ability to foster a productive team-oriented environment, handle multiple assignments, and display flexibility in response to an environment with rapidly shifting priorities is required
- Well-developed problem-solving skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to listen, learn, teach, and think strategically is required
This position is based in Ethicon, Somerville (NJ) and may require up to 20 % (primarily domestic) travel as business needs arise. The ability to travel domestically and internationally is required.
Do you strive to join an
outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is career growth and
opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity today.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-New Jersey-Somerville
Ethicon Inc. (6045)
R&D Engineering (R&D)