Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. Director, R&D Product Development: Ethicon
Cincinnati, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio
Requisition ID: 0290181211
Ethicon Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Sr. Director, R&D Product Development located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
The Sr. Director, R&D, is responsible for leading creation, operation & dissolution of cross-functional teams, focused to execute product acquisition & development projects in accordance with criteria chartered with Ethicon Leadership related to ultrasonic and advanced bipolar energy devices. Ensuring product development teams implement, support & deliver business results consistent with Ethicon business strategy. Demonstrating leadership in a non-traditional, non-hierarchical environment without extensive staff support. This role will also lead Lifecycle activities for related products, ensuring timely implementation of design changes, CAPA execution, and design support of production.
Key job responsibilities:
- Develop training & skill upgrade program for team members.
- Assess efficiency of product development systems, develop & implement improvement plans.
- Work with senior management to develop Ethicon strategy.
- Participate in development of company business systems & work environment.
- Develop & train associates to the present & future competencies of the company.
- Develop acceptance of Ethicon new product development product & services by internal & external customers. Develop overall product development plans & budgets & ensure execution.
- Ensure team leaders develop achievable work plans & contracts to execute product development & acquisition projects.
- Oversee formation of optimal cross-functional teams.
- Lead team leaders throughout product development cycle.
- Ensure projects are executed properly & achieve market success.
- Balance flow of resources among projects & maintain project priorities.
- Recommend cancellation of projects that will not meet set objectives.
- Resolve conflicts within teams & between teams & other groups.
- Provide ongoing constructive feedback & coaching to team leaders to develop their skills & value to EES as employees.
- Support corporate Vision & Mission statements.
- A minimum of BS in engineering, mechanical or electrical or related field, required.
- Advanced Engineering degree desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in development, manufacturing of complex products.
- Experience with manufacturing background and good understanding of design control, preferred.
- Track record of successfully bringing products from concept to market on schedule & within budget.
- Management experience of cross-functional product development teams.
- Demonstrated maturity & leadership ability
- Hands-on involvement; Judgment & decision making skills; Organizing & planning; Interpersonal relationship & influence; Ability to balance schedule, cost & quality; Project management skills; Conflict management; Teamwork; Managing & developing others; Communication; Able to work within a diverse group; Able to work in a changing environment (flexible); Problem analysis & resolution; Technical skills; Cross functional experience; Market knowledge.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20%
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)