Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, R&D Front End Innovation
Requisition ID: 0290180821
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc. member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Sr. Director, R&D Front-End, Innovation, located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. (this section cannot be altered)
This role is a critical leadership position in Ethicon R&D, owning the innovation strategy for the Energy and Endomechanical platforms. This requires strong collaboration skills and partnership with R&D, Global Strategic Marketing, Medical Affairs, and Business Development. This leader will also be responsible for leading the team to continue to push the bounds of our technical capabilities, enabling us to bring more meaningful innovation to patients.
The Senior Director, R&D Front End Innovation is responsible for working closely with Global Strategic Marketing to co-create the global innovation strategy for Energy and Endomechanical. He/she leads an R&D team through the early stages of vetting internal and external technologies to support this strategy, partnering closely with cross functional partners including transitioning solutions to the R&D Product Development leader.
Co-create the external and internal innovation strategies
- Partner with Global Strategic Marketing to uncover and translate customer and technical insights, unmet needs and trends into a 5-10-year Innovation Strategy. This includes providing direction on what growth should be organic vs. inorganic.
- Integrate the Innovation Strategy into the Strategic Plan, complete with financial growth and investment targets, and fully align up to executive levels.
Lead team in solution and technology assessments
- Lead team in completing Proof of Concepts/Proof of Principles on new technologies and/or new product solutions
- Identify key questions and approaches to answer
- Develop interdisciplinary project management plans/timelines to assess solutions.
- Navigate regulatory spaces in making technology assessments.
- Assess IP for technical robustness as well as drive internal strategies for organic growth and how to drive where to innovate (intention before invention).
- Develop diverse R&D team with front end assessment expertise and interdisciplinary mindset.
- Develop team skills in complex collaborations and deal design/assessments.
Drive Culture of Innovation and Insights Internally and Externally
- Broaden than Front End team, lead collaborative culture in R&D
- Champion for leading change and new ways of working and a role model for leading effectively through ambiguity
- Represent J&J externally in various forums with an enterprise mindset and building credibility for J&J as a partner of choice.
Basic responsibilities of Group Director of R&D, for example:
- Member of Energy and Endomechanical R&D Leadership team
- Effectively plan and manage budget for Business Plan
- Lead with compliance mindset and ensure all certifications/requirements for team are complete and up to date
- Support development of team, constantly assess capabilities, manage performance and attract best talent.
- Build and maintain relationships at all levels throughout the organization, including peers.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- A minimum of 5 or more years of people management experience is preferred.
- Engineering fundamentals, preferred.
- Strong project management skills, required
- Strong change leadership skills, required
- Solid collaboration skills, in complex environments, required.
- Good knowledge of deal structures and due diligence needs, required.
- Good fiscal discipline, required.
- Up to 20% Domestic and International travel required.
- Must have either an Engineering/Science degree or MBA. Both preferred.
- Experience in Medical Devices, Regulated Industry or Engineered Consumer Healthcare Products, preferred.
- Knowledge of surgery, preferred.
- Internal Relationships with Global Strategic Marketing, Product Development, Regulatory, Business Development, preferred.
- External Relationships with Academic KOLs, Industry KOL Surgeons, Prolific Inventors in MD space, preferred.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)