Johnson & Johnson Careers
High Throughput Antibody Engineering Director
Spring House, Pennsylvania
Requisition ID: 0281190325
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a High Throughput Antibody Engineering Director located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
The candidate should be a highly motivated and accomplished scientist with demonstrated expertise in protein biochemistry, molecular engineering and HT immunotherapeutic discovery and engineering process. This position is responsible for leading automation of nucleic acid and protein design efforts to generate novel immunotherapeutics to modulate immune cell function, preferentially access diseased organs, such as the brain or the tumor microenvironment. The successful development of innovative therapeutics will require close collaboration with a variety of inter-disciplinary colleagues including and not limited to cancer biologists, immunologists, neuroscientists, therapeutic development teams, toxicologists and pharmacologists.
This position will be accountable and responsible for delivering on portfolio by directing and exercising full supervision of activities outlined below to meet organizational and scientific objectives through subordinates: (1) Expansion of high-throughput technology and capacity for immunotherapeutic engineering (2) Incorporating large datasets of antibody sequences from animals using a combination of efficient empirically and rationally designed libraries to be screened for excellent biophysical and manufacturing properties with low immunogenicity potential (3) Interface with antibody generation team for efficient V-gene capture from a variety of sources to identify antibody panels with a variety of affinities for reduction in immunogenicity potential along with excellent biophysical and manufacturing properties (4) Implementing automation for HT formatting of panels of multi-specific leads from modules with these excellent biophysical and manufacturing properties to support concepts that require multi-specific biologics.
- Establish workflows and process to expand biologics discovery capacity incorporating HT technologies from v-gene recovery through lead optimization.
- Enhance the use of bioinformatics and NGS results to guide screening of antibody, modular specificity and stability
- Identify key issues and allocate resources to support goals and progress of the entire portfolio
- Possess in-depth, current knowledge for workflows used for optimization of large molecule immunotherapeutics
- Assist in directing efforts in management for Lead Engineering
- Author patents, publications and generally innovate
- Work adeptly in a matrix environment and act as internal consultant in areas of expertise
- Communicate effectively and influence decisions and judgments outside of immediate area of responsibility
- Obtains in-depth knowledge of the therapeutic targets of interest and assist in setting priorities
- Evaluates the competitive landscape and participates in strategy meeting to propose and evaluate new biologics modalities
- Participate and/or lead collaborations with internal and external partners
- Lead a team to generate high-quality laboratory-based investigative data to support project progression and clinical indications
- Supervise, mentors and cross-trains other scientists within immunotherapeutic design group, including humanization, format-switching and HT process implementation
- Communicates experimental findings accurately and concisely in both oral and written formats
- Present at group meetings, global project team meetings, and site meetings
- Contribute to a culture that embraces continuous learning, development and collaboration
- Ph.D. with 10-years of experience in drug development with industry or related (pharma, biotech, CRO, academic clinical research) with leadership experience
- Demonstrated expertise in the automation and increased throughput for the field of Biological Science (molecular engineering, protein biochemistry, biophysics, structural biology) or a related field (chemical engineering, biomedical engineering and biological engineering)
- Strong publications and/or proven record of optimizing high quality late clinical stage (phase 2-3 or approved) large molecules and multi-specific formats is required
- Solid technical knowledge and hands-on experience with molecular biology, protein biochemistry and protein engineering
- Track-record implementing high-throughput, large molecule immunotherapeutic discovery workflows
- Ability to lead a scientific team and deliver on independent research programs with no supervision
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner to key stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
- Availability to travel up to 10% yearly is required (international as well as domestic)
- Strong track record of scientific accomplishments demonstrated through publications in highly regarded journals and/or intellectual property generation
- Track record of demonstrating analytical skills, creativity and unique problem-solving skills
- Good understanding of the biotherapeutics (antibody and antibody-like scaffold) development process
- Prior experience working with or leading collaborations with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- Experience in mentoring and/or leading Ph.D. level and non-Ph.D. level scientists
- Outstanding pro-active attitude, interpersonal, collaborative and oral communication skills
- Strong motivation, passion and commitment to science and engineering novel entities
- Prior experience in delivering project goals in timely manner
- Knowledge of translational work involving antibody and protein therapeutics in neuroscience, immunology and oncology
- Industry experience, including regulatory agency interaction is highly desired, including experience of target validation and candidate selection
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-Welsh & McKean Roads
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)