Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Biophysical Target Assessment located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
This is a technical leadership position within the Biophysics group of the Biologics Development Sciences (BDS) Department and is responsible for characterizing and analyzing large molecule biotherapeutic drug candidates pertaining to all of Janssen’s Therapeutic Areas from early discovery through NME declaration. The group is accountable for the quality, appropriateness, and scientific rigor of experimental data.
The Principal Scientist - Biophysical Target Assessment, will focus on using proteomics to assess tissue distribution of target isoforms and post-translational modifications of targets in healthy and diseased tissues. They will be expected to stay atop developments in proteomics-related technology and recommend/engage in the implementation of novel proteomic assays. This Principal Scientist will be responsible for cross-training other scientists in proteomics technologies to expand our capabilities so that there is technical redundancy for this highly critical workflow. The candidate will be a subject matter expert on the design of proteomic studies, the interpretation of the results from such investigations and be able to perform studies hands-on. The Principal Scientist will also be responsible for the outsourcing of proteomic studies to partners and ensuring the quality and rigor of the results. They will focus mainly in the early target assessment and discovery phase. In addition, this Principal Scientist may be responsible for managing one scientist investigating the use of imaging mass spectrometry to support target assessment.
The Principal Scientist is expected to represent the Biophysics Department on project teams, interact closely with other interdisciplinary teams and colleagues in order to understand project needs and eventually also serve as a Project Team Leader.
• Plan and execute proteomics experiments
• Contribute to sample preparation and quantitative strategies for the analysis of biological samples
• Develop and maintain a close partnership with stakeholder departments.
• Exercise a complex level of independent judgment and execution
• Be responsible for efficiency and productivity solutions.
• Directly or indirectly lead and influence other scientists.
• If having direct reports, contribute to:
• hiring, promotions, pay adjustments, performance appraisals, development and other people related decisions
• be responsible for business-critical initiatives such as staff development, training, mentoring employees, etc.
Education: Ph.D. in Proteomics, Biochemistry, Protein Chemistry, or related life science field. At least 8 years of scientific experience, with at least 5 years in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry. Expertise in Proteomics is required.
• Ability to pursue and evaluate mass spectrometry data analyses and skills to analyze complex data sets using, e.g., MaxQuant, Proteome Discoverer, Skyline, R and other types of software.
• The successful candidate will have a background in liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry, especially with Orbitrap-based systems.
• Experience leading scientific team(s) and direct people management experience preferred.
• Strong collaborative skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-Welsh & McKean Roads
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)