Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Principal Scientist, Discovery Process Research, located in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson& Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research and Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
We are currently seeking an extraordinary synthetic organic / process chemist to join the Discovery Process Research (DPR) group at our San Diego, CA, site as a Principal Scientist.
You will be responsible for leading a team conducting research directed to the development of creative solutions to complex chemistry problems across a portfolio of projects in the discovery space, from lead identification through selection of development candidates. Our goal is to facilitate medicinal chemistry research by finding solutions to synthetic bottlenecks, enabling access to novel chemical space and translating chemistry innovations to efficient routes for the synthesis of small molecule drug candidates advancing into development.
Your work will require state of the art synthetic organic chemistry skills and analytical chemistry techniques. Your extensive previous experience in areas such as asymmetric synthesis, reaction safety, reaction optimization, synthetic route design, product isolation and scale-up are critical in this role. You will have to remain conversant with the modern chemical literature and maintain a strong laboratory presence. Building and maintaining close collaborations with colleagues in medicinal chemistry, chemical and pharmaceutical development as well as other adjacent functional areas of drug Discovery and Development is essential for the role and, as such, you exhibit extraordinary oral and written communication skills and the ability to thrive in a team and goal driven environment.
Principal Scientists within Janssen work with limited supervision and high levels of autonomy. They innovate to advance through complex research plans and deliver business results. A Principal Scientist will lead a team of other scientists to drive innovation and meet project objectives and is highly self-motivated, demonstrates extraordinary leadership and mentorship skills, actively applies new concepts to continuously improve DPR capabilities and expertise, and is active in the external scientific community via publications and external presentations.
- A PhD in Organic Chemistry or related discipline is required.
- At least 6 years of experience in organic chemistry (academia or industry) with a solid record of innovation is required.
- Consistent track record of scientific excellence and successful research in Organic Chemistry supported by peer-reviewed publications is required
- Experience as a process chemist within the pharmaceutical industry is strongly preferred.
- Expertise in the areas of methodology development, total synthesis, and catalysis is strongly preferred.
- Creativity and innovation in problem solving is required
- Productivity and efficiency working in the lab are required
- Strong written and oral communication skills are required
- Excellent collaboration skills are required
- Experience supervising and training other scientists is required
- This position is located in La Jolla, CA, and may require up to 10% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
North America-United States-California-La Jolla
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)