Johnson & Johnson Careers
DIRECTOR PHARMACEUTICAL DEVELOPABILITY
Requisition ID: 00001F2J
Janssen Research & Development, LLC, a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is recruiting for Director Pharmaceutical Developability within in Discovery, Product Development & Supply, the Small Molecule Drug Product Development organization located in Springhouse, PA or Beerse Belgium.
- Lead Optimization for the developability profiling of key compounds of interest within Janssen's Discovery portfolio
- Partner with Discovery to help guide and influence the optimal design and selection of New Molecular Entities (NMEs) and ensure identification of the best compounds for progression into clinical development in line with the Disease Area Stronghold (DAS) and Therapeutic Area (TA) Strategy
- assure formulation development strategies up to First in Human (FIH) clinical studies, also taking into consideration later formulation trajectories
- you will work closely with the Global Head of Small Molecule Pharmaceutical Developability providing strategic and scientific mentorship and guidance to the Developability Department, to the Discovery and the Development teams and organization. This role will enable the you to build strong partnerships with key stakeholders within Discovery, Nonclinical Safety, Product Development, and other key functions across Janssen R&D
- Assist in Discovery Sciences management and participate in relevant Discovery-TA governance bodies where you will drive effective decision-making and ensure the optimal transition of compounds from the discovery portfolio (internally and externally) to NME selection and into clinical development. You will be part of a dynamic, accomplished team that supports multiple R&D therapeutic areas across Discovery, and you will contribute to data-driven solutions that enable the Discovery portfolio
- Provide strategic support to the department, will direct key growth initiatives, and will drive the development of appropriate new capabilities to fully enable Discovery efforts within Janssen R&D
- Involved in oversite of Developability work conducted at key external organizations
- Assess Lead to Late-Lead candidates within discovery using state-of-the-art tools and approaches.
- Actively connect and engage key Discovery partners, Therapeutic Areas, Pharmacokinetics, Toxicology, and Product Development teams
- Stay informed on and invest in innovative screening tools and formulation options to meet the needs of the Discovery programs, in collaboration with experts within Janssen R&D, academic institutes and contract labs
- Provide strategic and scientific guidance and mentorship to a team of scientists (developability representatives, formulators) and lab technicians
- Help guide developability input into Janssen’s data science initiatives and contribute to the development and use of data and computational models
- Opportunity to significantly influence the scientific and strategic direction of the Developability team. You will have the opportunity to help ensure world-class support of the Discovery portfolio, to cultivate collaboration across multiple teams, and improve scientific expertise
The Developability teams will reside on the discovery teams and will be an integral contributor to these teams, enabling evaluation of efficacy, safety, and a number of Developability criteria to ensure appropriateness for progression of key discovery molecules into development. In this role, you will ensure rapid access to know-how, enabling technologies and lab capabilities in the various Centers of Excellence in Discovery and within the Product Development organization across the various internal/external sites.
- A Ph.D. degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 10+ years of relevant experience, or proven equivalent experience required
- A strong understanding of Late Discovery and Pharmaceutical Development such as ADME, Preclinical Safety evaluation and Drug Development required
- Demonstrated experience in developability or drugability assessments e.g. molecular design and interpretation of pharmaceutical properties in relation to exposure and toxicology data, formulation strategies and optimal dosage forms required
- Strategic and broad technical and scientific leadership capabilities; ability to guide/support/oversee delivery of technical initiatives or new capabilities for the organization required
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with various internal and external functional areas
- Sound business skills, including financial acumen and business planning
- Good understanding of global regulatory requirements and ability to respond to questions from Regulatory Agencies required
- Ability to prioritize and balance compliance with business needs
- Organizational, planning, problem solving skills and the leadership competencies needed in the completion of deliverables to the discovery and early development teams
- Experience in matrix leadership and collaborative initiatives, strong managerial competencies.
- Excellent partnering and decision-making skills
- Master the balance between nice-to-have and need-to-have, apply fit-for-purpose approaches to provide scientifically valid assessments
- Understanding and experience with the use of predictive models and data science
- Negotiate and influence decision-making processes, think and manage through issues into resolution, lead scientific discussions
- Make fast decisions if needed, but at the same time be inclusive and an excellent team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to clearly and concisely present and communicate developability assessment and its impact to various audiences, including medicinal chemists, biologists, preclinical leaders, development leaders and internal management boards
- Ability to travel upwards of both domestic and internationally required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-1400�McKean�Road
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)