Johnson & Johnson Careers
SM API Cluster Capital Portfolio Planning & Prioritization
Requisition ID: 00001EOF
The objective of portfolio planning is to guide decision-makers to strategically prioritize, plan, and control a portfolio of ongoing and newly proposed projects, in alignment with an organization’s operational and financial goals, in such way that available (constraint) resources are optimally used and generate the highest possible business value.
MAKE Asset Management (MAM) is committed to deliver reliable, competitive and innovative Asset Management across the Janssen MAKE network. MAM provides agile, future proofed, data driven services and solutions to enable MTO platforms to deliver to our customers. MAM establishes effective internal and external partnerships and fosters an empowered environment that fuels diversity, talent and expertise.
The role provides strategic direction to ensure that the right capital projects and programs for the API SM Cluster are prioritized, approved, initiated and delivered on-time-in-full according to standardized work processes, yielding all projected final project objectives and benefits. The role is also responsible to optimally balance resources allocated to safeguarding base business continuity (maintaining and continuously improving safety and quality compliance, asset base performance and productivity) versus resources allocated to funding strategic programs (such as new capabilities, new products etc.). In addition, the role is expected to drive the total capex spend (and as such the depreciation level) for the cluster towards internal and external competitiveness benchmarks.
Specifically, responsibilities include:
- Development of standard processes for intake of Capital project proposals including thorough challenge of the business case and assessment of strategic fit with Cluster Priority Programs.
- Providing ‘quick kill capability’ to avoid spending resources to non-valuable ideas as well as capability to identify and accelerate approval and initiation of attractive business opportunities.
- Portfolio optimization by advancing, deferring, cancelling, combining, sequencing of projects.
- Development and deployment of processes, standards and KPI’s to continuously monitor ‘portfolio health’ and flagging projects at risk of missing out on spend targets or on time delivery in full of their projected business value. Initiate action to course correct if needed.
- Optimization of individual project value propositions by exploring alternative solutions, challenging scope, requirements and specifications (fit for purpose).
- Determining optimal project start/stop timing linked to optimal use of available resources, using CONWIP principles (where possible) and promote fast and focused execution.
- Supporting CAR development, facilitation of CAR review and approval, monitoring of timely initiation and completion of projects.
- Participating in post execution evaluation of projects and lessons learned sessions to drive continuous improvement of the project portfolio and project delivery processes.
- Driving development of Cluster Asset Master Plans and translation thereof into the Cluster Long Range Financial Plan.
- Development of the yearly Capital Business Plan for the Cluster.
- Keeping project portfolio management systems up to date and ensuring regular and timely reporting of portfolio KPI.
- Providing regular portfolio updates and insights to the different stakeholders/BU leads.
- Providing regular workload projections to Engineering, ES, E&PS, IT and external Partners for workforce planning purposes.
- Providing regular financial updates and outlook to the Cluster Leadership Teams as well as recommendations on required actions to drive the portfolio towards the spend target.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong business acumen; familiarity with business case development, budgeting and cost control, financial guidelines and methods for financial evaluation.
- Good understanding of business strategies in JSC (API SM Cluster), Ethicon (Athens and Schaffhausen) and the DPDS Clinical Supply Chain (Geel & Beerse).
- Broad understanding of API SM manufacturing technologies, facilities and execution systems.
- Project Management skills and familiarity with engineering project delivery processes.
- Knowledge of portfolio management principles and associated tools and systems
(e.g. SAP, Maximo, Instantis, Ariba, e-Marketplace, Tableau, …) and strong analytical capability.
- Ability to operate both strategically/conceptually as well as tactical/operational.
- Ability to navigate and deliver in a complex matrixed organization and connect easily across various levels in the organization (shop floor to Cluster and E2E Platform leadership level).
- Strong proactive communication and interpersonal skills, proficient in customer relationship management, ability to effectively partner with various customers and stakeholders.
- Ability to successfully collaborate across the Cluster, impact and weigh on decision making.
- Excellent knowledge of English, both verbally and written.
- Thorough challenge of project proposals, ensuring a robust business case is available
- Providing guidance on further project scoping and development of new project proposals in line with business expectations and Cluster spend target.
- Demonstrate knowledge and expertise in bridging technical and business disciplines, evaluating and determining project and portfolio risks.
- Ability to analyze the portfolio, provide portfolio insights, flag projects and programs at risk and provide recommendations on project or portfolio decisions.
- Developing and deploying standards and KPI’s to continuously drive ‘portfolio health’ and spend target adherence.
- Gathering insights on emerging technologies, align with innovation and technology roadmaps.
- Supports and drives Manufacturing for the Future (MFF) initiatives within the Cluster
- Acts as SM API cluster representative/single point of contact for ALL CAPEX portfolio related questions. Represents the Cluster in all governances:
- Investment Review Committee
- Global JSC PPM office
- End to End Platform Capex Governance
- API SM Cluster Capex reviews
- Ethicon approval meetings and PPM office (specific to Athens)
- Clinical Supply Chain Capital Governance (specific to Belgium)
- Campus PPM office (specific to Belgium)
- Partners with various customers and stakeholders (Operations, Clinical Supply Chain, Logistics, Labs, EHS&S, Technical Operations, MAM Manufacturing Technology, MAM Cluster Engineering, MAM Cluster Execution Systems, E&PS and IT) to capture business opportunities and needs and ensure new insights and upcoming changes are reflected into the portfolio on an ongoing basis.
- Partners with EH&SS and Quality to ensure alignment over the different Business units with regards to Quality and EH&SS standards and guidelines.
- Partners with finance to ensure full adherence to financial guidelines with respect to CAR development, cost allocation, depreciation rules etc.
- Works with MAM Risk Management to ensure Base Business Capital Replacement needs are factored into the portfolio and the Long-Range Financial Plans.
- Maintains frequent contact with MAM cost controlling, internal and external project managers in MAM, E&PS and IT to drive the portfolio planning and to highlight and mitigate project risks.
- Project Management Professional (PMP)/Flawless Project Execution (FPX) certification required.
- Six Sigma/Lean certification highly desired.
- MAMC Certification desired.
Europe/Middle East/Africa-Switzerland-Schaffhausen-Schaffhausen, North America-United States-Georgia-Athens, Europe/Middle East/Africa-Ireland-Cork-Cork
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)