Johnson & Johnson Careers
Occupational Safety Director, Workplace Health & Safety Excellence
Requisition ID: 00001DHN
Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. is recruiting for an Occupational Safety Director, Workplace Health & Safety Excellence.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
The Occupational Safety Director (OS) is the functional/technical expert for the Enterprise in the field of OS. By training, experience and accomplishments, this person is recognized as a functional/ technical leader both internally and externally. S/he is called upon to solve complex Occupational Safety problems in any J&J business in the world, communicating effectively at all levels and in multiple cultures. S/he leads and nurtures global Communities of Practice, mentoring junior staff to strengthen OS competency within the global organization. S/he is the face of Johnson & Johnson to the external environment, representing the Corporation to government agencies, NGOs, trade associations, standard-setting bodies, etc. in the expertise area.
- Steward processes that facilitate proactive identification of OS hazards & risks and propose controls to the J&J organization. Exercise prudent judgment in recommending and selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for the OS issues under consideration.
- Provide EHS expertise to company management & engineering groups across J&J Operating companies in the development of solutions to complex, critical OS problems. Must be able to effectively influence and align teams at all levels across the Enterprise without explicit authority.
- Build competency of site-based professionals through training, mentoring and Communities of Practice supporting all regions globally.
- Be an expert resource for sector/ franchises &facilities during external audits/inspections by government agencies.
- In case of emergencies actively cooperate with others in the development of focus programs to apply learnings and prevent recurrence across the enterprise (i.e. Electrical Systems Safety Program development after the electrical incident, Boiler Safety Program after the Boiler explosion, Construction Safety Strategy development after construction related issues).
- Represent Johnson & Johnson in the external environment with government agencies, NGOs, trade associations, standard-setting bodies, etc. Act as leader in the external environment to shape laws, regulations and guidelines pertaining to appropriate technical function(s) across all industries. Conduct research of issues that are very complex in nature and make major contributions to scientific literature and conferences.
- University/Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required.
- Master’s degree and/or safety related certification is preferred.
- A minimum of 15 years of related experience is required.
- Minimum of 10+ years of leadership experience as a supervisor or equivalent is required.
- Multi-site EHS experience or multi regional experience in positions of increasing responsibility at locations representative of J&J’s diverse profile (e.g., pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer products) is preferred.
- Ability to work in virtual cross-regional and cross-functional teams, translate complex situations into simple working solutions, manage complexity, collaborate with all levels of management and influence decision-making across a matrix organization is required.
- Strong negotiation and creative problem-solving skills are required.
- Evidence of recognition as a technical leader (e.g., certification, invited speaker at internal and external meetings and symposia, publications) is required.
- Experience with or exposure to global program development/deployment/initiation is preferred
- Mature business skills such as ability to organize, lead, motivate and support networks of functional teams at multiple, geographically dispersed locations are required.
- Capable of establishing effective relationships and interfaces with key partners, stakeholders, operating companies and professionals is required.
- Guiding senior management in strengthening of organizations, methodologies and procedures to focus on the critical EHS issues is preferred
- Convincing verbal, written and customer service focused communication skills are required
- Excellent attention to detail is required.
- This position requires up to 30% domestic and international travel is required
Do you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity today.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick
North America, Europe/Middle East/Africa
Johnson & Johnson International (6078)
Environmental Health & Safety