Johnson & Johnson Careers
Mechanical Design Engineer - Student Placements 2019
Requisition ID: 00001DDT
Mechanical Design Engineer Industrial Placement
Your unique talents and perspective can make a vital contribution to innovative products that improve the lives of people everywhere. Career opportunities within Johnson & Johnson companies may provide you with an ideal setting to build your experience; express your passion and touch the world.
Our engineering teams make a positive impact on virtually every aspect of our business. They help to manufacture our products, create new medical breakthroughs and are also responsible for everything from material sciences and packaging to operations and facilities management.
DePuy Synthes create products that reconstruct diseased or damaged joints, repair skeletal injuries, correct spinal injuries or deformities and also provide surgical treatments for neurological disorders. These products change the lives of our patients and present unique and rewarding challenges for our engineering teams.
The mechanical design engineer role is based within our Research and Development team at DePuy Synthes. You will join a team of project engineers and will be involved with designing, manufacturing and dispatching custom spinal instruments on a surgeon by surgeon basis. This means you will get to see the process through from start to finish on each individual case. During your placement you will be exposed to a wide range of cases. Throughout the year you will receive extensive support and training as well as SIEMENS NX Design training.
- Concept work and brainstorming ideas
- 3-D CAD modelling and drafting
- Prototype assembly
- Work with vendors regarding designs and manufacturing processes
- Medical instrument design work
- Processing orders through PLM software
- Developing spine models using Materialise Mimics software
- 2 years of degree level study completed
- A minimum of 2:1 achieved in first year of study
- Engineering degrees preferred – bio or medical engineering, mechanical engineering, materials engineering, automotive engineering and similar
- Computer literate and proficient in MS Office, graphical design, industrial design and CAD software applications
- Possess good illustration skills
- Exhibit confident oratory and presentation skills
- Good technical comprehension
- Possess a basic understanding of mechanical engineering and manufacturing
- Team working skills and flexibility are essential
DePuy UK Holdings Limited (8721)