Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director, Value Chain Quality Design (1 of 3)
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Requisition ID: 00001DDB
Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for a Director, Value Chain Quality Design and can be located anywhere in the Globe, including remotely.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $74.3 billion in 2014 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets. The more than 250 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employ approximately 119,000 people in 60 countries throughout the world.
You, the Director, Value Chain Quality Design (VCQD) will embed proactive quality in Segment R&D to improve product reliability and to drive strategic value for J&J.
Major duties and responsibilities of the Director will include:
- Collaborate to establish an integrated end-to-end segment-based design quality strategy and transformation plan that links to the overall Enterprise strategy
- Build relationships between VCQD, R&D Quality and R&D for responsible segment
- Partner with R&D Quality and R&D to develop strategy and roadmap
- Gain membership to develop and deliver Design Quality transformation
- Collaborate through J&J Design Council
- Achieve business alignment and approval for strategic direction and investment
- Build and maintain relationships at all levels throughout the organization to deliver improved value.
- Collaborate with peers and business partners to ensure agile alignment with end-to-end processes, supporting current and future business
- Implement J&J Design Quality Strategy in J&J segment, leveraging end-to-end standards, innovation, processes, tools and capabilities to drive maximum value
- Stay abreast of external trends and leading practices for potential J&J adoption
- Leverage processes and tools across J&J through strong collaboration with the business to accelerate value (e.g., DtV, MFF, Design Thinking, Design/Process Excellence, Data Insights and Analytics, TM development/validation, CtQ Cascade, Risk Management/FMEA/CRRM, Sampling, Design of Experiments, Quality by Design, Design Controls, Human Factors, Product & Process Characterization, Combination Products development)
- Share Design Quality lessons learned across J&J
- Advance the Value Chain Quality End-to-End Vision
- Provide subject matter expertise in QE product development and lab practices and principles, to enable and drive product and process robustness, standardization where it provides value, reduces risk, improves capability, increases value and/or regulatory compliance.
- Recommend new technologies to support end-to-end design strategies and improve quality of services to the customer.
Required Minimum Education: Bachelor of Science degree in relevant engineering/scientific/technical field required; advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in relevant engineering/scientific/technical field preferred
Minimum number of years of experience required: Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in scientific/engineering/technical field in healthcare regulated industry (medical devices, pharmaceuticals, consumer health)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Uncompromised requirements for the role):
- Ability to shape a future vision, gain support and alignment to that vision and to drive strategic direction and deployment of goals and objectives into meaningful actions
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills; ability to drive timely decisions with sometimes minimal data; ability to handle breakdowns;
- Knowledge of and experience with fundamental quality engineering principles (e.g., Design Controls or Quality by Design, Design Excellence, DtV, Process Excellence/Lean methodology and tools/product and process validation, sample size development, DOEs, advanced analytics and modeling simulations, test method development and validation, risk assessment and risk management control strategies), including escalation, prioritization and resolution of Quality issues;
- Able and willing to assume technical hands-on leadership;
- Able to coach talent on quality engineering principles and practices;
- Strong business acumen; Excellent oral and written communication skills at all levels of the business; ability to zoom-in and zoom-out for both strategic (high level) and tactical (details)
- Ability to communicate and partner with technical experts, as well as non-technical personnel without losing sight of the needs and aptitude of the audience;
- Proven success in influencing highly successful teams;
- Ability to manage global teams;
- Ability to lead in matrix management environment and to work collaboratively globally/cross-functionally as well as across segments/regions;
- Strong project management skills;
- Strong relationship development, conflict resolution and team building instincts, with the ability to build partnerships both internally and externally;
- Strong negotiation, communication, facilitation and change management skills; Strong collaboration and influence management skills to partner effectively at all levels;
- Ability to influence without authority: Able to get alignment and action from those constituencies that may not be initially receptive to the work but will get great value from it if they take it on;
- Build consensus and impact outcome with limited authority and ability to negotiate trade-off decisions across the organization;
- A minimum of 10 years broad-based technical/engineering/scientific expertise/experience in any of the following: R&D, R&D Quality, Source, Make Technical Engineering, Business Quality, or equivalent;
- Ability to create a direct and indirect organization that delivers results;
- Capable of building strong partnerships across segments and regions, acting as the mediator between organizations while optimizing the value proposition;
- Demonstrated initiative in innovative approaches to product development and/or Quality challenges in a fast-paced, changing global environment;
- Makes the customer central to thinking;
- At least 10 years of people management experience, including people development skills required;
- Drive adoption of internal and external benchmarked learnings, trends and leading practices;
- Integrate connections and customers across R&D, Quality, Make, Source and end-to-end Value Chain Quality
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Process Excellence/Design Excellence Black Belt or MBB certification strongly preferred;
- Combination Products and/or SaMD development experience strongly preferred;
- Design Thinking experience strongly preferred;
- Business Excellence or Business Performance Coaching experience preferred;
- QE certification (e.g., CQE, JJ QE) preferred but not required;
- Functional knowledge of/and experience in R&D or Quality Assurance in Medical Device, Pharmaceuticals or other healthcare regulated products strongly preferred;
- Credo-based decision-making skills preferred;
- Shaping external environment, e.g., through presentations, working groups, and/or publications.
- This position can be located anywhere in the Globe, including remotely and may require up to 30% domestic and international travel, depending on the location of the role.
Do you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity today.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-New Jersey-Bridgewater
Asia Pacific, Latin America, North America, Europe/Middle East/Africa
Johnson & Johnson Services Inc. (6090)