Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Senior Counsel, JLABS
New Brunswick, New Jersey; Toronto, Canada; Beerse, Belgium
Requisition ID: 000015376
Johnson & Johnson is currently seeking a Senior Counsel for Johnson & Johnson Innovation, primarily supporting the JLABS business. This position will preferably be based in New Brunswick, New Jersey but could potentially be based at other sites where a JLABS is located. This position will report to Vice President Law, Johnson & Johnson Innovation or a senior member of the JJI Legal Team.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
As the Senior Counsel for JLABS, you will support Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI) generally and sit on the board of the business unit within JJI and primarily advise JLABS leadership and support the legal needs of the JLABS organization.
JLABS is a global network of open innovation ecosystems, enabling and empowering innovators across a broad healthcare spectrum including pharmaceutical, medical device, consumer and digital health sectors to create and accelerate the delivery of life-saving, life-enhancing health and wellness solutions to patients around the world. JLABS achieves this by providing the optimal environment for emerging companies to catalyze growth and optimize their research and development by opening them to vital industry connections, delivering entrepreneurial programs and providing a capital-efficient, flexible platform where they can transform the scientific discoveries of today into the breakthrough healthcare solutions of tomorrow.
At JLABS we value great ideas and are passionate about removing obstacles to success to help innovators unleash the potential of their early scientific discoveries. JLABS is a no-strings-attached model, which means entrepreneurs are free to develop their science while holding on to their intellectual property. JLABS also produces campaigns to seek out the best science called QuickFire Challenges. For more information, visit www. jlabs.jnjinnovation.com or follow @JLABS.
• Qualified applicant is an excellent lawyer with outstanding people skills who possesses the ability to negotiate and draft agreements to implement the vision of JLABS leadership team and the GEI leadership team.
• Provide legal support for the global JLABS team comprising some 60 associates and managing relationships with external suppliers, partners and/or outside counsel.
• Serve as a trusted advisor to the JLABS business leader and leadership team and participate in leadership meetings and negotiations.
• Advise on contest rules (Quick Fire Sourcing Contest Challenge) and the ability to interface with global law colleagues, including privacy, social media, etc to assist with launching these challenges
• The candidate will be a member of the Johnson & Johnson Innovation Legal Team and provide support for JLABS,
• You may be asked to work from time to time on external collaborations and projects initiated by JJI.
• A US or Oversees law degree from an accredited Law Program and admission to, and good standing with, a local Bar Association is required.
• A minimum of 9 years of legal experience at a top national or international law firm or in-house legal department of national or international reputation is required.
• Proven ability to provide outstanding legal services to a range of senior executives is required.
• Strong drafting and negotiation skills, an ability to support several different transactions at the same time is required.
• The ability to function in a highly-matrixed environment and effectively partner across legal and other functional areas, such as healthcare compliance and regulatory affairs is required.
• Experience working in incubators and/or with startups is highly preferred.
• Experience with early stage licensing and acquisitions in the life sciences industry is strongly desirable.
• Familiarity with early stage IP and product licensing, university technology transfer contracts, university-based sponsored research agreements, startup company transactions and/or other similarly relevant technology-related transactions is preferred.
• Experience or familiarity with venture capital financing and public/private partnerships is preferred.
• Drafting and negotiation skills to put in place the necessary agreements should JLABS expand its global footprint is required.
• A self-starter, with a positive attitude, high emotional intelligence and the ability to work in a highly matrixed but rewarding business environment is required.
• Candidate must be fluent in English, and additional language skills would be highly desired. (Most desired additional languages include Mandarin, Dutch and/or Portuguese)
• This position would require less than 10% domestic/international travel.
United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick
Europe/Middle East/Africa-Belgium-Antwerp-Beerse, North America-Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Johnson & Johnson (6067)