The Robotics and Digital solutions (RAD) group, part of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is recruiting for a Senior Robotics and Controls Engineer for the Strategic Robotics R&D Team. This position is located in Santa Clara, CA (not remote).
What We Do:
The Strategic Robotics R&D team envisions a future for robotic intervention that is targeted, minimally invasive, and personalized. Building upon a deep understanding of patient and physician needs, we are developing a platform for the next evolution of soft-tissue robotic care.
Who We Are:
We are a team of mechanical, electrical, robotic controls, mechatronics, clinical, and software engineers who are passionate about improving patient care. The team includes a wide range of experience levels from junior engineers to industry experts. We follow an iterative design approach to product development that requires us to collaborate closely across clinical, instruments, accessories, and capital hardware teams. We value autonomy and empower each other to take action while remaining a supportive and closely knit team. We take pride in our culture and are committed to building an environment that is inclusive and promotes diversity of thought through varied experiences and backgrounds.
As a member of the Strategic Robotics R&D team you will join us on our journey to design and build one of the world's most advanced medical robotic platforms. You will work alongside all engineering functions to make significant contributions in robotic and instrument control, procedural workflow, user experience, and more. This role offers a high degree of autonomy and opportunities for growth within the team as we progress towards realizing our vision.
Performance Objectives and Responsibilities:
- Design and implement control algorithms for use in a safety-critical environment
- Develop novel methods for human-robot interaction by working closely with clinical engineers and physicians
- Provide design guidance on robot to tool interactions with mechanical and electrical engineers
- Quickly implement concept proofs and prototypes, and implement robust long term solutions
- Participate in multi-functional design discussions and code reviews
- Participate in clinical procedures and procedure development
Required Experience and Skills:
- Have a degree in CS, Math, Robotics, or other applicable engineering degree with 6+ years of experience developing sophisticated applications for complex systems (PhD+1yr, MS+4yr or BS+6yr)
- Possess deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals (e.g. algorithms, data structures, object-oriented design in UNIX environments)
- Have extensive knowledge and experience of principles pertaining to at least one of the following areas: Software Architecture/Design, Optimization, Detection/Estimation or Nonlinear Control
- Have demonstrated hands-on experience designing and implementing software for robotic systems
- Can demonstrate skill with at least one of Python or C++ and a breadth of technology experience using other languages
- Generous vacation and hybrid work policies
- Commute assistance (Daily shuttle from SF, public transit stipend)
- Snacks, Lunch stipend for on-site cafeteria
- Healthy work/life balance through paid parental, family, & volunteer leave
- On-site fitness center (incl. group exercise classes) & fitness / well-being reimbursement
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. We are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Robotics and Digital Solutions is part of Johnson & Johnson Med Tech. At Johnson & Johnson Robotics and Digital Solutions, we’re changing the trajectory of health for humanity, using robotics to enhance healthcare providers’ abilities and improve patients’ diagnoses, treatments, and recovery times. Johnson & Johnson Robotics is comprised of three key med-tech platforms: Flexible Robotics (MONARCH®), Surgical Robotics (OTTAVA™), and Digital Solutions. Join our collaborative, rapidly growing teams in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City and Santa Clara), Cincinnati, and Seattle.
The anticipated base salary pay is between $119,000 and $191,000.