Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer, Laser Systems located in Milpitas, CA
At Johnson & Johnson Vision , we have a bold ambition: to change the trajectory of eye health. That’s why, through our operating companies, we’ve developed solutions for every stage of life—to help people see better, connect better and live better. We partner with eye care professionals to provide some of the world’s leading products and technologies to address refractive error, cataracts, dry eye, and beyond. We are committed to using our reach and size for good and strive to put quality eye care within reach of everyone, everywhere. Visit us at www.jjvision.com . Follow @JNJVision on Twitter and Johnson & Johnson Vision on LinkedIn.
The Principal Design Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, Laser Systems works in the design and development of next generation laser surgery systems. This key role will provide designs and prototypes engineering solutions for equipment projects, contribute to the design for manufacturing analysis and generate design control deliverables, while collaborating across functions. This technical expert will drive projects to completion, conduct highly technical design and testing, mentor other team members while working in compliance with GMP/GLP, Quality System Regulations, safety, environmental, and corporate policy standards.
- Designs, prototypes and verifies mechanical engineering solutions for laser equipment. Acts as a team member in cross-functional project teams.
- Main areas of responsibility (all of them collectively 100% of the time for this position)
- Provides technical leadership as a subject matter expert in Mechanical Engineering for Laser Equipment projects. Provides technical engineering expertise for mechanical components integrated in the laser equipment systems. Continuing from the concept phase through requirements, detailed design, simulation, testing, integration, and debugging, to regulatory approval, manufacturing, and post-launch support.
- Be a technical lead on projects, and mentor/coach to other engineers. Support project planning activities to architect new medical device platforms, setting the stage for on-time and on-budget launch of new products.
- Has a thorough understanding of the global market, disease, clinical needs and the industry and is a team contributor for market knowledge for a specific project
- Performs research and development functions in mechanical engineering to develop design and process solutions to complex problems.
- Apply sophisticated scientific & engineering knowledge to complete complex assignments with minimal supervision.
- Protect intellectual property by writing invention disclosures and supporting patent applications
- Designs, prototypes and oversees the testing of innovative engineering solutions for laser equipment projects.
- Leads technical reviews of proposed engineering solutions. Makes layouts of complex assemblies and detail parts of devices and mechanisms.
- Works with cross-functional project teams and generates design control deliverables meeting the defined customer needs. Participates in the development of hardware requirements based on customer and business input. Defines and evaluates hardware and component specifications prior to coordinating final testing for design verification activities.
- Identifies and resolves technical issues to ensure feasibility and sustainability of Equipment products. Contributes to the design for manufacturing analysis. Assures that technical solutions meet serviceability and reliability expectations defined with the project team.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering plus 8 or more years of relevant experience in an engineering environment.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis methods and DOE techniques.
- Experience working in a regulated industry required.
- CAD design experience and experience with designing complex mechanical assemblies.
- Demonstrated Mechanical Engineering competency with full knowledge of industry practices and standards.
- Experience with problems of complex scope where analysis of situations or data involves multiple competing factors.
- Experience with a medical device engineering environment.
- Experience with designing medical devices and their processes.
- Experience with manufacturing process development.
- Experience with SolidWorks.
The position requires ability to travel up to 10%, international and domestic.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.