• Responsible for the development and implementation of communication and public affairs strategies that drive the business objectives of the Janssen business and our brands.
• Required to work with and support multiple therapeutic areas and business units prepare for and develop campaigns ahead of innovative new medicine launches including critical market shaping work.
• Help to build and foster strong employee engagement for Janssen in Japan through the development of integrated internal communication programs
Key Responsibility Areas
- Develop and execute integrated communications campaigns and programs that (50%):
- Support the launch of innovative new medicines and products across multiple therapeutic areas,
- Drive awareness of new indications or listings among clinical and patient audiences,
- Build awareness around relevant disease areas to support existing products and educate consumers on available treatment and diagnosis options,
- Help shape the broader policy discussion around access to innovative medicines,
- Enhance the reputation of the Janssen brand in the Japan market and demonstrate the company’s commitment to advancing patient-centricity,
- Differentiate Janssen Japan from its industry peers and highlight its position as a thought leader in innovative medicines.
- Partner with HR and other Janssen Japan business units to develop and implement high quality internal communication programs that (20%):
- Drive culture change, inspire employees, and align teams around a common set of behaviors and One Team mindset
- Enhance employee engagement across Janssen Japan and the broader J&J family of companies
- Foster a culture of inclusivity, collaboration and respect, grounded in our CREDO amongst all Janssen employees,
- Build internal excitement and employee buy-in around new corporate initiatives and ways of working
- Clearly articulate the vision, objectives and strategies of the Janssen Japan MD and leadership team to all internal audiences
- Foster a sense of purpose and belonging among Janssen Japan employees
- Provide an avenue for Janssen Japan employees to express their views and feedback on a range of organizational topics.
- Maintain external stakeholder trust through effective management of issues. Proactively monitor and identify potential reputational issues and develop issues-management strategies and manage product issues and other situations that may impact stakeholder trust and company reputation (10%).
- Establish and maintain networks and relationships with journalists from mainstream and trade media across Japan as well as patient advocacy groups, healthcare professionals and KOLs as relevant to the therapy area. (10%)
- Integrate knowledge from external and internal networks; multi-stakeholder insights; and understanding of business, competitive and industry priorities in the implementation of strategic communication plans that build, enhance, and reinforce the reputation of J&J/Janssen. (5%)
- Develop strong partnerships with and serve as trusted advisor to the JAPAN business units in JAPAN on multiple businesses and brands. (5%)
- Ability to bring new and creative ideas to communication campaigns and activities that drive clear action and influence opinion and a demonstrated ability to craft compelling stories with superior written, oral and visual communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop a reputation as a trusted adviser and communications expert to senior business leaders within a highly matrixed, global organization
- Ability to represent the needs of the Janssen Japan business to regional and global teams and influence internal stakeholders
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner that ensures cut-through with a broad audience base
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple therapeutic areas in the delivery of communication campaigns to support the growth of Janssen JAPAN
- Ability to stay aligned with overall strategic direction while applying diligence and attention to detail in execution and reliably meeting deadlines
- Comprehensive understanding of the local media landscape and ability to develop strategic relationships with key media outlets and KOLs - particularly with business/lay/national affairs media outlets and journalists.
Scope of Role
- Demonstrates an ability to judge when to seek guidance from more senior C&PA colleagues while also executing independently, efficiently and effectively.
- Communication with others outside Company: High – including members of the media, patient groups and other external stakeholders
- Communication with others within Company: High – at all levels across different functional areas. Requires an ability to earn a reputation as a trusted adviser across the company.
- Resource Management: Medium
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: Work broadly across all parts of the Janssen Japan business, including with the Managing Director. Work closely with the Asia Pacific Corporate & Public Affairs team. Work closely with the Communication & Public Affairs teams of the J&J family of companies (Medical and Consumer).
- External: Media, patient groups, industry bodies, healthcare professionals, Key-Opinion-Leaders (KOLs).
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Preferred minimum education: Bachelor’s degree
- Preferred area of study: Preferably in journalism, marketing, liberal arts, science or business.
- Preferred related industry experience: At least twelve years of experience in communication or related field, preferably in a company, NGO, government agency or public relations agency
Knowledge and Experience:
• At least 6+ years of experience in communication or related fields.
• Preferable to have experience working within a regulated market.
• Demonstrated experience in the successful development and execution of integrated communications campaigns that cascade multiple channels, platforms and audiences
• Demonstrated experience in delivering communication campaigns that shape the broader policy discussion and public debate about access to medicines
• Experience dealing with national and local lay, professional/trade and social media and a well-developed understanding of the Japanese media landscape.
• communications environment and its impact on the Japan market
• Ability to write and present clearly and persuasively in English
• Demonstrated analytic ability, excellent judgement and a deep understanding of digital and social platforms
• Ability to stay aligned with overall strategic direction while applying diligence and attention to detail in execution and reliably meeting deadlines
• Ability to maintain perspective and bring positive attitude and courage to partnership discussions
• Professional maturity and ability to work effectively across levels, functions, regions and backgrounds
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies in Japan strongly recommends prospective employees to complete the COVID-19 vaccination before or as soon as after joining our company to prevent the spread of infection among our employees and people around them as well as our customers and the community we serve, and to ensure our responsibilities are sustainably fulfilled as a healthcare company (except for those who cannot vaccinated with underlying medical conditions and other circumstances).