Abiomed, part of Johnson & Johnson MedTech, is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory and respiratory support, with a mission of recovering hearts & saving lives. Abiomed’s “Patients First!” culture drives our skilled workforce and strong relationships with clinicians. Our innovative product portfolio and robust pipeline provide us the incredible opportunity to bring lifesaving technology to more patients around the world than ever before. Founded in 1981, Abiomed has a proven track record for growth, integrity and innovation.
I Am Abiomed | I Am Heart Recovery | Patients First!
ABIOMED is redefining team-driven success while reshaping heart recovery. Here, new ideas are welcomed and encouraged, learning is constant, and our dynamic setting enables positive people to do profoundly important work.
We are seeking a highly collaborative Product Manager to work with product development team and owns the upstream deliverables/activities from the early stage to the completion of full market release readiness, such as analyzing market opportunities in untapped or unexplored markets, and providing marketing guidance to the new product development teams through voice-of-customer (VOC), voice-of-business (VOB), quantitative and qualitative market research, design control activities and completion of commercial launch activities in collaboration with downstream marketing. This role works closely with physician and non-physician stakeholders, and a broad cross-functional team that includes Engineering, R&D, clinical affairs, regulatory affairs, operations, manufacturing, quality and worldwide geographic marketing functions.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Build deep understanding of target markets, including evolving technology and healthcare trends, competitive dynamics, unmet needs, and geographic-specific factors
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to identify growth opportunities and unmet patient, clinician and business needs
- Gain actionable customer insight, testimonies and recommendations by executing primary/secondary research, visiting customers, conducting advisory board and engaging internal/external stakeholders
- Work with early adopters through FIM, pilot sites and LMR to collect feedback and refine our product offering and market approach
Roadmap & Business Plan Development:
- Collaborate on the development of product portfolio long term vision & roadmap, evaluation of strategic and financial attractiveness of growth opportunities to improve patient outcomes
- Develop business plan, initial value proposition, go-to-market approach, marketing specifications, partnership opportunities for new solutions and enhancements to existing solutions in collaboration with cross-functional team
- Manage upstream portfolio planning activities in various stages of the product life cycle from launch through phase out
World-Wide Product Plan Execution:
- Help advance new product/solution opportunities from ideation to active product development
- Represent marketing on cross-functional product development teams to ensure strategic rationale and requirements including financial assumptions are aligned
- Development of go-to-market strategy, value proposition and key claims
- Successful commercial and operational introduction of new products and services ready for a full market release
Required Education & Experience
- 5+ years of proven full-cycle (concept to launch) Program/Product Management experience
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred
- Device Industry or Clinical background in Interventional Cardiology preferred. Mechanical Circulatory Support, Cardiac ICU, Cath Lab experience a plus
- Solid business acumen and knowledge of medical device or biotechnology environment
- Track record with a variety of voice of the customer (VOC) collection methodologies; skilled at VOC interpretation in order to define market requirements
- Familiarity with medical device product development process/methodology highly preferred
- Experience with product development efforts involving close collaboration with clinical advisors or advisory board preferred
Required Skills & Abilities
- Strong analytical and data-interpretation skills – demonstrates comfort making data-supported recommendations and building a strong business case/justification to gain organizational support
- Able to effectively influence and collaborate with multiple stakeholders
- Strong individual contributor - speaks up when important information or questions must be raised, and acts when issues must be addressed
- Good organizational skills and ability to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing priorities
- Able to routinely work on multiple tasks, with multiple people, while effectively prioritizing
- Able to develop strong relationships with internal and external customers, clinical & sales partners
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law. Abiomed maintains a drug-free workplace.